40X1 debug, where are the other pins?

D n T

I am debugging a 40X1 project and using most of the portC pins, they don't come up on the debug, I would like to be able to use the portC digital inputs on the simulator.
The extra ADC pins are not coming up either.
I have the most current editor and the download circuit is soild.
I checked with other 40X2 chips and they work well with a the different style debug window (no chip outline).
Is it a 40X1 thing or a PICNIC (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer)

Thank you

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
This is a feature (limitiation) of the simulator. As the 40X1 has been superseded by the 40X2 it is unlikely that support for the 40X1 will be enhanced further.

westaust55

No mistype. :(

As Rev Ed see it, the X2 parts have superceded the X1 parts.

I have several times in the past raised the question of having a better simulation for the 40X1 and on the last occassion either hippy or Technical gave basically the same response.

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Is that a mistype? I thought just the 28X/40X had been superseded/discontinued.
Yes it was a mistype, wrong choice of word. 40X is superseded, 40X1 and 40X2 are current products. With the availability of the 40X2 I don't know what further development there will be to support the 40X1 within the simulator.

westaust55

In the words of Technical (as at April 2010):
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=130675

There has historically never been any separate simulation of 40X/40X1 chips as the internal simulator engine does not in any way distinguish between 28X1/40X1 - they use exactly the same compiler/simulator and are therefore regarded the same by the programming editor. It is on the list of 'user requests', but at present it is a very low priority as it would be a lot of work compared to the relatively small number of 40X1 chips sold - 40X2's are far more popular.

However the X2 simulator engine is internally completely different and had this new feature added at design (as it is much more recent), so it will already distinguish and simulate a 40 pin chip - simply add a #picaxe 40x2 directive so the simulator knows you are using a 40 pin chip (it assumes 28 by default). You will then see a 40 pin layout (portD included) instead of a 28 pin layout in the simulator window.

Last edited: