40 KHZ pulse train adain!!

I went thru this a while back...
I need to generate a 40 khz pulse train for an ultrasonic measuring device for measuring the water in a tank.
Previous advice was to use an external inverter, easy enough. That was until Mr Google found this gem http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/srf04tech.htm Looking at the diagram the devive gets in & out of phase signals from pins 2 & 3.
I am using a 28x.
For those who are familiar with the Microchip devices, is this possible on a picaxe.
Gonzo

eclectic

To make life simpler, have a look at this link.
They work perfectly.

<A href='http://194.201.138.187/epages/Store.storefront/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/SRF005' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>
e.

It is the same item, the 05 being an updated 04. I still would like to know how they do it, even with an overclocked chip.
Gonzo

eclectic

My apologies.

I assumed (wrongly it seems), that this was
a separate question to your 03 June posting
and that you were simply looking for a rangefinder.
e.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
<i>Looking at the diagram the devive gets in &amp; out of phase signals from pins 2 &amp; 3... is this possible on a picaxe </i>

No. The PICmicro there is almost certainly bit-banging the two signals out rather than using any on-chip hardware. A 40kHz output means switching the output pins every 12.5uS, which is easy enough on a PICmicro, but not for a PICAXE without using PWMOUT, and that is only a single signal, so hence the need to use some external hardware inversion to create an out of phase signal.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Q : Do you need two out of phase signals ? Have you considered just a single signal with the transducer to 0V ?

Dippy

If my addled memory serves me at least one of the Devontech u/s device made cunning use of a RS232 (Max type) to pump-up the voltage to the U/s transducer - maybe thats why they need 2 pins(?)

And the SRF05 is an improvement on the SRF04. After BB's post t'other day I got a couple and they (with careful mounting) provided pretty accurate ranging at 5m outdoors on a windy day.
I've seen an ic somewhere to control up to 6 from serial PICAXE 2-wire - much cheaper than a bundle of SRF08/10.

And with the SRF05 from Devontech at &#163;14 odd I couldn't be arsed to try and make my own.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
That SFR04 mentioned in the first post seems to use an RS232 buffer ( I hadn't paid any attention until mentioned ), which is a clever way of putting 24VPP across the transducer. That no doubt maximises range over the normal out of phase 10VPP, or single phase 5VPP.

Hi Hippy.
Bloke thanks for that gem. This is the question I have banging on about for ages. Looks like I am off to the bookshop for a book on PICmicros and/or use the Rev ed card.