3D printer

julianE

I'm considering a 3D printer purchase, nothing fancy. making small parts, gears and such, small enclosures for picaxe projects. I don't want to spend much more than $300. Any suggestions? Which 3d printer are the picaxe forum denizens using? Thanks in advance.

Jeff Haas

I got an Ender 3 in 2019, it's been really useful. There are newer models out there that improve on the version I got with more features. There was a bit of a learning curve to the whole process, but once I got it down, the printer has been an appliance that reliably cranks out electronics enclosures.

Look at YouTube channels by these two guys for demos and reviews:
Teaching Tech
CHEP

Also, one of the best upgrades was a Raspberry Pi that runs a custom installation called Octoprint. It allows me to send a file to the printer via wifi, and then it manages the whole print process. I got a wifi plug that Octoprint can control, so the printer will finish up a print in the middle of the night and then automatically get turned off.

julianE

Ender 3 is the one i was looking at, it's available at a local store so i can have a look at it. thanks for the input, appreciate it.

Bill.b

The Ender 3 V2 is a better buy. With all Creality printers it is recommended to upgrade the control board, see the bigtreetech website. I would recommend the E3V3 control board and the TFT35E3 display as well. I agree with Jeff Haas that a Raspberry pi running octoprint is a greeat improvement.

Bill

erco

My 3D print guy has two TAZ printers and loves them. He's one of the few people who use Shapr 3D software on an ipad instead of Solidworks. Faster & cheaper all around and better for some tasks. https://www.shapr3d.com/ There is a Windows version now too.

Jeff Haas

Agree with Bill - see if your local store has the Ender 3 V2. It's got most of the upgrades I had to make on mine! Check to see what kind of control board it has, if it's silent you can get by with it for a long time before having to upgrade (although an upgrade is about $35 - $40.)

julianE

Looks like I'll be waiting some more, getting a little dear for my budget with upgrades and all. What they have in stock is a
Creality Ender 3 S1 3D Printer around $380,

Bill.b

The S1 is a good printer but the pro version is better as to can handle hot end temperatures up to 300c. I am using the same direct drive extruder as comes with the S1 Pro on my Ender 3 v2.

oracacle

I would suggest looking into geeetech as well. Been trying an A10 since it's release and been reliable and accurate enough for my needs