320GB PICAXE datalogger

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Current winner in the 'my data logger is bigger than yours' category with 320GB of storage ( and can have a 1.5TB+ disk fitted ).

This uses a Buffalo Linkstation Live NAS ( Networked Attached Storage ) device at its core; an ARM powered Linux device with Gigabit ethernet and two USB host ports, running a Samba/SMB server so its files can be seen on a Windows network plus Apache for web serving, an FTP server and Perl for command line programming and web page CGI. The same could be constructed for NSLU2 ( NetSlug ) and other similar devices; the advantage of this NAS is that it has a SATA disk which it boots from and many useful command line tools are provided or just need dropping onto disk in the right place ...

Currently comms with a PICAXE is 'a bit kludged' to say the least. Much can be improved upon and it was really proof of concept. Details provided more for inspiration then anythig else.

Drivers for Prolific 2303 USB-to-serial installed on the NAS so a USB010 download cable can be plugged in and an AXE026 is used to convert the 9-way D to 3.5mm jack. That connects to an AXE090 prototyping board for a 28X2 using SERIN/SEROUT.

The 'getty' command is used on the NAS to treat /dev/ttyUSB0 as a console, the PICAXE monitors the SERIN for a 'login:' prompt, issues username and password, gets a command line, then issues a 'echo "XYZZY" >> filename' then logs itself out. The 'getty' is re-spawned and the process repeats ad infinitum. The 'filename' grows as PICAXE data is logged. That can either be dragged straight off disk by any PC on the network, FTP downloaded or served up as a text web page.

Dippy

It's not the size... it's what you do with it.

Hey, do you have to transfer the logged data back to your PC via the PICAXE?
Just kidding.

I'm always impressed by hippy's capacity - mostly for Real Ale ;)

Tom2000

Wow, Hippy, that's some project!

I just retired that drive's predecessor (Buffalo HD250LAN), replaced by a Zyxel NSA-220 box.

How did you gain access to the Linux terminal? As far as I know, on my box, there's no way to get to it. Is it a hack, or is that a feature of the particular NAS you've chosen?

Man, you do some interesting stuff in your lab!

Best,

Tom