3 phase interface - more info

wildbill

Hi to all, thanks for the responses so far. I forgot to mention the main reason for my initial suggestion of a coil wrapped round the incoming cable to detect mains. The 3 phase power has to be switched of every night after work - this is a requirement of the landlord, so this why i need to detect the loss in front of the main breaker as obviously when i power down at night, the emergency lights would come on - as if there was a power failure.
p.s. Stan, I've only just started to look at the possibility of making a wind generator, so i dont quite know whats involved, i'm thinking of using a car alternator as it has rectification and voltage regulation built in.
my location is sometimes windy ( but mostly rainy ) Scotland.

manuka

Och aye- seems you have a wary landlord! Can't you just have a "flag" or switch lock, or maybe suitable neons etc that HE can also see. Enough on 3 phase...

Car alternators, although tempting,need reduction gearing or total rewinding for wind use, as they need to spin much too fast (~6000 rpm) for direct propellor connection (~600 rpm). How much power do you NEED? What's wrong with a few Watts PV solar if just for lights?