3 hardware pwm pins

Coyoteboy

Do any of the axes support hardware pwm on 3 pins simultaneously? Different datasheets use different labels for the same IC and im 90% positive I spotted the 18x had 3 a while ago but cannot find it now. I'd like to use the axes but may have to resort back to PICs. Ta

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Depends on what you mean by "simulatenously" ... the 14M can put the same PWM signal out of up to four pins and run another independant PWM as well, most other PICAXE's have a single PWM or two.

The 18X has just one PWM, that's down to the PICmicro 16F88 hardware. Take care reading the PICmicro datasheets because configuration fuses can route PWM to different pins but AFAIK only one or the other, that won't give extra PWM.

Andrew Cowan

That would work. WHat is it for? If it is for controlling RGB lights, many people on this forum have used pulsout to control three outputs from one chip (eg 08m).

A

Coyoteboy

Hi, yup I was thinking 3 individual PWM outputs running at the same frequency but different duties. They're going in a very compact space and need very accurate timing and duty control so I'm not sure pulseout would be suitable. I'll probably drop back to PICs and work around it that way.

Cheers anyway!

premelec

after a variety of other attempts I settled on controlling an 8 channel D/A convertor with the PICAXE - modulating constant current drivers... TI 8 Ch chip or Analog Devices 12 ch - also TI 4 ch chip - about $5 serial control input... not super fast as you have to set up the D/A channels with 12 bit string but the D/A has latches that hold the value until next setting. System has worked very well for a few years...