28x2???

Wrenow

The new 28x2 modules (SMT chip on carrier) are up on the store site, but without a price or documentation yet. Imminent release?

Cheers,

Wreno

leftyretro

The new 28x2 modules (SMT chip on carrier) are up on the store site, but without a price or documentation yet. Imminent release?

Cheers,

Wreno
Where? I don't see it. Everyone knows that the X2 series will never actually be released. The long waiting has caused me to get and try out a Arduino board. Learning C on it is not as fustrating as I thought it would be, I'm having fun even without an X2 ;)

Lefty

MFB

The 28-X2 Module looks like an interesting gadget, and with adequate support material it could even become a good product.

It's a pity the module does not have the 8-pin Atmel serial Dataflah chip that would have made it into a 32-megabit data logger.

papaof2

Check the small print on the store page:

"Future product"

Boo! Hiss!

Don't tempt us with vaporware...

John

alband

If tech supplies manage to get it out (properly, you know so I can buy one in real life) in less than two months, then they'll be doing better than apple.
- First they said in the keynotes that the new in-ear headphones would be released in October, now its they say November and I think anyone else who's yearning for a pair will agree with "November, yeah just like October - no chance". My guess is a supplier has dropped out. They've taken the old in-ear's of the US site and a week later the UK site.

Come-on Tech supplies, you have a chance to be better than one of the leading US marketing machines.

womai

Did anyone else like me stop reading any further at that point and think, "that cannot be right!?" :)
Actually, if you read carefully you'll find out that the item is "28X2 labels", not 28X2 devices.

If anybody wants I can create and sell 28X2 labels (or 28X3 labels for that matter) for even less money ;)

Wrenow

Check the small print on the store page:

"Future product"

John
Hence my question about imminent release. There have been no listings for anything related to the X2's up until I saw this (other than the labels).

Cheers,

Wreno

Tricky Dicky

Just to tantalise you boys a bit more. I picked up a newsletter at the Rev-ed stand at the NEC dated Q1 2009. Mentions both, yes both! 28x2 and 40x2 and also the 28x2 module as being available. Looks to me like you will have to wait till at least the new year. The newsletter also mentions a new development board the AXE091.

Richard

BCJKiwi

But then you have to consider firmware issues.

28X1 is up to A.4 I believe.

Have a 28X A.1 replaced with A.2 to resolve an issue with A.1 now find the A.2 does not work for a project.
So I have 3 28X1s that are obsolete. Goodness knows what the status of the 08Ms and 14Ms I have is going to be when they get into final projects!

@ Technical
Have noted that you have asked other users of earlier chips to send them back for a re-program. Is this general policy? If so what is the procedure for re-cycling older PICAXEes?

SD2100

@ Technical
Have noted that you have asked other users of earlier chips to send them back for a re-program. Is this general policy? If so what is the procedure for re-cycling older PICAXEes?
Maybe if the PICAXE chips could upgrade the firmware via the internet. Some other chips are doing this, I won't mention the name, last time I did I got deleted :D

inglewoodpete

I've noticed that supplys of 28 and 40-pin ic sockets, suitable for the 28x2 and 40x2 are available worldwide now :). We can now start designing our PCBs in anticipation.

More seriously, I'd rather Rev-Ed iron as many bugs as possible out of the firmware before release. With such a complex F/W, the opportunities for something to go wrong are likely to be increased. I'm just hoping for a bug-free chip. Impatient as I am, I'd rather wait.

BeanieBots

Fully agree inglewoodpete.
I also think people often forget that PICAXE is aimed at education. The X2 is not exactly an ideal chip for students to cut their first program on. As such, it is likely to be lower in priority and all the more reason to get it right first time.
Doesn't stop me wanting one NOW though:)

I bought the 28X2 stickers and attached them to my 28A chips but it did not improve anything :confused:.
Obviously, I'm joking, thanks to Rev. Ed. an old retired Civil Engineer is able to have a new hobby. Electronics were not part of the curriculum in my days in the university.
I appreciate the Rev. Ed. offerings and the help from this forum.
Andres

westaust55

I bought the 28X2 stickers and attached them to my 28A chips but it did not improve anything :confused:.
Obviously, I'm joking, thanks to Rev. Ed. an old retired Civil Engineer is able to have a new hobby. Electronics were not part of the curriculum in my days in the university.
I appreciate the Rev. Ed. offerings and the help from this forum.
Andres
LOL Marmitas ;)

Reminds me of the old story that painting the case black on early PC's would make them go faster . . . . . zoom, zoom, zoom :)

retepsnikrep

Maybe if the PICAXE chips could upgrade the firmware via the internet. Some other chips are doing this, I won't mention the name, last time I did I got deleted :D
This is quite a good idea and perhaps a feature they could add to the pic programmer they sell, with some security built in so people can't just buy blank chips and then burn them with the firmware ad infinitum.

I've got the pic assembler programmer thingy but it's gathering dust at present. If they were to make available once only use code via the internet equal to say the number of chips you have purchased from them that seems reasonable.

e.g. I buy three 28X1 chips ver A3, they later send me an e-mail with a special A4 firmware executable which can only be burnt three times, only onto chips which already contain a previous version of the firmware, and can only be burnt with the programming thingy.

papaof2

upgading chip firmware

[snip]
only onto chips which already contain a previous version of the firmware
The ability to check the firmware version is included in the Programming Editor, so that much is already available.

Firmware upgrade is a feature advertised by the competition and is done with their standard programming interface - no additional hardware required.

This isn't somethng that can be done with PICAXE chips that are already in the field, as it would have to be part of the firmware. A firmware upgrade most likely would only be available on larger chips due to tradeoffs in firmware size versus user program space - on the other hand, I don't remember a long list of firmware problems with the 08M ;-)

John

BCJKiwi

Number of firmware versions;
08 - 3
08M - 3
14M - 3
20M - 1
18 - 7
18A - 5
18X - 7
28 - 5
28X - 8
28X1 / 40X1 - 4

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Don't forget that the number of Firmware Versions doesn't necessarily reflect the number of bug fixes. For example, there have indeed been seven versions of the 18 but only one bug fix from many years ago ( MIN/MAX operation ).

Tom2000

Where? I don't see it. Everyone knows that the X2 series will never actually be released. The long waiting has caused me to get and try out a Arduino board. Learning C on it is not as fustrating as I thought it would be, I'm having fun even without an X2 ;)

Lefty
I'm just catching up on this thread, Lefty.

I can highly recommend Stanford University's "Essential C", a free pdf download. It's a terrific primer for the C language. It helped me a lot when I was brushing up, and I still use it as a quick reference.

Good luck!

Tom

Ralpht

Cars with gun turrets on them seem to move faster thru traffic!!
Where can I get one of those?

Actually, I always thought that the ones with the racing stripes went faster.....

tonto2k

This is absolutely brilliant ! I have been waiting ages for rev-ed to bring this type of thing out ! no more stupid unmountable boards and very compact as well :) THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)