28X2 performance

gavina

A stepper motor controlled by a 28X2-5V (PIC18F2520) runs at half the speed it does when controlled by a 28X2 (PIC18F25K22) - Why?

bpowell

Well...the 28X2-5V tops out at 40MHZ...the 28X2 tops out at 64MHZ...so there's a simple matter of instructions per second to consider...

40MHZ to 64MHZ = 60% increase.

Last edited:

oracacle

we need a fair amount more info here, perhaps a schematic and some code other wise its a question of how long is a piece a string.

it maybe down to the fact that the default clock of the 28x2-5 is 4mhx and the 28x2 has default of 8mhz.
setfreq m8 in the older picaxe and see if that makes a difference.

westaust55

Older X2 parts can only operate at up to 8 MHz with the internal resonator and 20/40 MHz with an external resonator.

The Current/newer X2 parts can only operate at up to 16 MHz (except 20X2 up to 64 MHz) with the internal resonator . The 28/40X2 parts operate up to 64 MHz when used with an external resonator.

Last edited:

gavina

Thank you all.

Silly me - trying to run stepper at setfreq=16MHz. Should have known that 28X2-5V max internal operating freq is 8MHz hence the half speed.

srnet

Thank you all.

Silly me - trying to run stepper at setfreq=16MHz. Should have known that 28X2-5V max internal operating freq is 8MHz hence the half speed.
I would not beat yourself up to much, we have all done it.

Althought if your changing the operating frequency of the PICAXE (with SETFREQ) then if things done work as expected, I know where I would look ...............................