28X1 Firmware Errors

jrybak

I am aware that version A.4 of the firmware for the 28X1 has some errors in it. Are there any other versions of the firmware for the 28X1 with errors? Some of my 28X1 chips have firmware version A.0 Does it have any problems?

Thanks.

Jim Rybak

westaust55

With your Programming Editor, there is a file named Firmware.txt which contains some details of the bugs corrected by each firmware revision.

That the revision has increased from A.0 as you note, suggests automatically that there was something wrong in A.0 that required A.1 to be released.

Below is an extract for the 28X1 as taken from the Firmware.txt file:

*** PICAXE-28X1 (40X1) ***
The PICAXE-28X1 (40X1) firmware is implemented on a PIC16F886 (PIC16F887)
BASE FIRMWARE CODE:A
V0 FIRST PUBLIC RELEASE. ROHS COMPLIANT
V1 CORRECTED ISSUE WITH OUTPINS AND END COMMANDS
V2 ENHANCED OPERATION OF @PTR, @PTRINC, @PTRDEC
V3 CORRECTED ISSUE WITH MISSING CENTRE '0' ON #VARIABLE WITHIN HSEROUT COMMAND
CORRECTED ISSUE WITH DISCONNECT FUNCTION DURING A COUNT COMMAND
CORRECTED ISSUE WHERE BACKGROUND FUNCTIONS COULD OCCASIONALLY CORRUPT SCRATCHPAD BYTES 15 & 79
CORRECTED ISSUE WITH SERRXD (NO TIMEOUT) NOT CORRECTLY OPERATING
RECALIBRATED SERIN COMMAND BAUD RATES FOR INTERNAL RESONATOR TO REDUCE USE OF CALIBFREQ
V4 CORRECTED INTERRUPT CONFLICT WITH USE OF HPWM/PWMOUT COMMAND
V5 CORRECTED ISSUE WITH SERVO/SERVOPOS COMMAND CAUSED BY V4 CHANGES

inglewoodpete

With your Programming Editor, there is a file named Firmware.txt which contains some details of the bugs corrected by each firmware revision.

That the revision has increased from A.0 as you note, suggests automatically that there was something wrong in A.0 that required A.1 to be released.

Below is an extract for the 28X1 as taken from the Firmware.txt file:
The latest firmware.txt has another revision:
V6 CORRECTED ISSUE WITH SERVO/SERVOPOS COMMAND WITH ODD NUMBERED WORD VARIABLES CAUSING JITTER
RECALIBRATED SERVO PULSE TIMING FOR MORE ACCURACY
DISABLED INTERRUPTS DURING 1-WIRE COMMUNICATION (READTEMP ETC.)

A.6 has at least 1 bug causing interaction between i2c and servo commands. I suspect I have found yet another problem affecting the i2c interrupt flag (hi2c slave mode) but most i2c configurations don't need to use interrupts. I hope to do some specific i2c testing on the 28x1 in the next couple of weeks and will report back when I have some conclusive results.

westaust55

Maybe Technical could add links to a few more documents like:

- Firmware.txt for the PICAXE firmware revision and bug fix list

- Revision.txt for the PE software revision and bug fix list

In the What’s new section under:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13235

Would make life easier to provide those with questions on revisions and those answering forum questions. I for one do not have the PE installed on every single PC that I access the forum through and might help teach some folks how/where to look for themselves.