28X in the 28A project board

tzurs

Hi Guys,

I'm the genius that burned the 28A a few days ago, someone here mentioned I might be able to only replace the chip itself instead of getting a new starter kit. I'm wondering if I can instead replace the 28a chip with the 28x which has a few more features that I want?

can I?
as usual, any comment is mostly appriciated,
--tzurs

Yes you can, the two chips are pin compatible, the only thing what differs is pin 11 .. pin 18 can be used as output also.

check if input 0 .. input 7 arent fixed inputs on your board (i.e. have a switch or ldr attached to it) if this is the case you can have problems when setting one of these pins to a output pin.

Which board are you using ? i use the picaxe experimenter board which has a small bread board attached to it and 3 sockets for the 08, 18 and 28. i can use the A,M and X variants on this.

Take care of fixing the problem which caused the blow up of your picaxe first !!!

Charliem

HI tzurs,

I was going to mention to you if you are going to replace the chip go for the 28x.If you have the funds I would get a few of them.Just so you wont have to wait very long of something unexpected happens.

tzurs

Ok,
I have the 28a starter kit, this is the board that I'm using. Can someone confirm that its ok to just replace the 28a with the 28x that I'm gonna get?

and another thing, I understand that the 28x has an i2c connection (as far as I understnad this can be used to store information on an external memory chip), how exactly is that used? what do I need to buy in order to make this work,

and thanx for the advice, once I understand what is needed I'll get a bunch of each...to be on the safe side.

thanx,
--tzurs/