20x2 LCD - (leaving 7-seg LED display)

manie

The two 20x4 Blue LCD's arrived yesterday. Almost 4 weeks from order, 3 weeks after payment.... FREE SHIPPING ! The packaging was SO WELL DONE it is hard to believe ! Bubble wrap off course for each item, then hand-cut polystyrene to fit the wrapped item exactly, all inside what seems to be a made to measure strong card-board box !!! One thing about the Chinese and Sure Electronics, they don't seem to skimp in the shipping department.

I think it was worth the LOOONNNGGG wait, and I'll be doing business with them again....
Just thought some feedback to you guys was in order...

kevrus

Iv'e always thought that they look good as well, and iv'e had excellent service from Sure. I'm going to try one of their 128x64 graphic LCDs soon, take a chance on compatability with the GLIC system...

manie

Kev: Awaiting your user report on that, I've always thought that graphics supply so much more info !

moxhamj

I'll second the comments on packaging. These displays work brilliantly and Sure are great to deal with. Shipping to Australia is a bit quicker - more like 12-14 days. I've got a display right in front of me running CP/M. 1k resistor to drive the backlight. And I've also found that for these particular displays, the contrast ends up perfect if you just connect the contrast pin to 0V.

manie

Starting to work with the Blue 20x4 LCD. Made the "Keyboard/Display" PCB Saturday afternoon (1 1/2 hrs-drilling included). It has its own power regulators with BD244C's as Pass transistors for higher current (6 Amp) should I need it. I include these Pass Transistors on my PSU now as standard. I soldered in a machine pin 28-dip socket for the 28x1, the Picaxe pins does not like that, so before I damaged the 28x1 pins I put it in a "normal" socket and piggy-backed that into the machine pin socket. The 2x16 header on the left is for the LCD, the 2x8 on the right is for the keyboard feeding the analogue voltage to the PicAxe adc pin 3. I've used a few 0.0R(wire link) "resistors" as jumpers. It makes layout of traces easier and sure looks neater than actual wire jumpers. The brown spot at right is a proper mistake ! I dried the board on a 60watt bulb and left it too long ! Fortunately the PCB was not damaged.

The backlight on the Blue LCD (ex Sure) is switched on/off with a miniature toggle on the case front, this passes 5V through a 270R limiting resistor. This gives a current of 19mA and the backlight is quite bright.

This board will have two way RS232 comms with the Main Controller, for alarm set points etc. and to display the current temperature readings etc. locally in the Chook-House. The Main controller also transmits the data via the Polygon 433 MHz transcievers to the study in the house. Alarm set points can be varied from there as well.

In assembling and testing the analogue "one-wire" keypad I found the data for the Rev-ED keypad to be incorrect with the pinouts as shown.

See the page here:
http://194.201.138.187/epages/Store.storefront/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/SEN040

Row 4 and Row 2 has been swapped ! See the picture with wires swapped over correctly. After swapping the wires around the analogue voltages fell neatly in place. I could pick this up from the analogue voltage table I produced. Technical, please have a look at the data displayed on the page above...

The LCD/433MHz/RS232/40x1-controller is comming together well now.

Thank you ALL for assistance that got me this far, it is really appreciated.

I wonder if I should start a new thread to continue the now combined pieces as the "integrated" project with various separate boards ? If "yes", then a name suggestion is in order...
Manie
Edit:
The black "silk screen" markings on the board is something new I'm trying. It worked very well in fact, UNTIL I started "cleaning up" to get it "better".... I will get it right and tell you what I did.

Attachments

Last edited:

manie

Both display and keypad are working fine. Decoding the analogue voltage from the key being pressed needs to be precise with the correct ADC reading bandwidth for each key in order to separate different keystrokes. This is a true "one wire" analogue keypad. I think the next one must be more ambitious with preset pots as the resistors for for real fine tuning.

The blue LCD looks great. Nice largish characters, good contrast, at 19mA on the backlight it is nice and bright and easy to read. I'll deal with Sure Electr. again in future.

Now I must finalise the code for this PCB as well as for theMain controller and bring the two together. This was a satisfying part of the project.