20x2 i/o

jmumby

Just to verfiy. ALL pins can be either input or output on a 20x2 except C.6.

The manual says Hserout can't be used with the download output, what does that mean?

As a rule you always use a pullup for serial coms?

Cheers,

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Staff member
Yes, all I/O pins can be input or output, except C.6 which is input only because of the silicon design.

With respect to HSEROUT, that's saying the command cannot be used to output data on the Download Serial Output pin ( leg 19 ).

As for pull-up and pull-downs with serial coms; it depends on what you are interfacing to and polarities involved. A SERIN pin, used by the program but not connected, should be pulled-down for Nxxxx polarity, pulled-high for Txxxx polarity, to remain in its natural 'idle' state.

MPep

The manual says Hserout can't be used with the download output, what does that mean?
Different pins in use. The "H" part designates hardware, so you must use C.0 for HSEROUT (pin #10), and B.6 for HSERIN (pin #12).

I never use pull-ups for serial comms.

Serial In cannot be used for anything else but that.
Serial Out can also be used for an Output only.
And as noted, C.6 is an Input only.

And, of course, +V and 0V cannot be used for anything else bar power supply. :eek:

BUT I am sure that you've already figured that one out.,

MPep.

MPep

Correct WA, but I purposely did not include that here. In hindsight, probably should have mentioned it. ;)

jmumby

Another rudimentary question I would imagine. Im talking to a device that requires DTR and DSR. The device is RS232 level rather than TTL. Would I pipe the DTR and DSR signals thru the other two level shifters on the MAX232? The datasheet says that RTS and DTR are the same so im just going to join those together.

MPep

Try looking here:RS232 pinouts
Gives reasonable descriptions and what pins/signals to connect together.

If you plan using DTR and DSR in your PICAXE program, then yes connect them through the MAX232 converter.
If you run out of converters, however, simply duplicate the download circuit. Remember to 'invert' the signal's polarity.