20M2 chip and OLED (16x2) display

thelittlesthobo

Hello

I've looked at the specs for these parts but can't seem to see a proper data sheet. Does anyone know the current draw for these parts when stood alone?

Thanks

Rob

g6ejd

Supply current for the devices (less display backlight) is usually about 2 to 5mA. The backlight can take up to 120mA, depends on settings. If you work to 100mA maxmium you won't go far wrong.

Jeremy Harris

My experience is that an average 16x2 display draws between 20 and 30mA. There is no backlight on an OLED, so the current draw is highly dependent on the number of "dots" displayed. If, for example, you choose to use a bargraph type display, with lots of solid sections illuminated, then the current can be quite high, of the order of 30 to 40mA. If you just display characters, then you may find the current is only around 20mA or so.

Picaxe current is much lower, but frequency dependent. At low clock frequencies one or two mA (or less) is typical, but this will increase to 5mA or more if you increase the clock frequency. Much of the time the peripheral circuitry will draw more power than the Picaxe, especially if LEDs are being driven.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
From my measurements the OLED display seems to be less than 1mA when blank and about 34uA per pixel so that would suggest around 43mA if all pixels are on for a 16x2 display.