2-way comms with Excel Plx-daq to 40x?

agoodevans

Thanks to previous help, WestAus and others. I have now successfully sent data to excel for processing/recording. Can I download to a 40x from Plx-daq via serial cable to turn outputs on? I understand the 40x can do this but I'm unable to get any info from the Plx-daq help file. Any advice as to where I can get this info?
Thanks in advance.

KTarke

I have before seen Plx-daq ,and been interested in it, but can't use it, because I have Open Office in my laptop, not Exel. That's why I haven't downloaded it...

Anyway, Your question made me curious, it would be nice to also SEND data to Picaxe from the Plx-daq, and to find out, I downloaded it.

Read through the introductions, but found NO reference to SENDING data out.
In the example codes there were lines, where the processor reads something (seems a timer setting) from Plx-daq. I did not see there a way of sendin commands to Picaxe...
There were mentioned "check boxes", which can be recognized by Picaxe, but I think that those can't be used for sending data, because the "boxes" have some effect to Plx-daq ,too.

Would You care to tell, where did You get the knowledge, that data could be sent from Plx-daq to Picaxe?

(normally ,one could sent commands to Picaxe using terminal, but unfortunately one can NOT use two different programs at the same time, which uses the same com-port...)

Well, not possible to send data from Plx-daq , maybe have to set up another com port to send data to Picaxe...

OR tinker with Plx-dac's code... is it open... :)

Last edited:

agoodevans

Doctoring code?

Active X macro. I have a little VB experience but know nothing about how activeX macro's are designed and whether they are modifiable? It appears to include a file which I did a search for but couldn't find on my computer. Basically I was trying to avoid having to try and code something myself. The Selma plxdaq works great for collecting data. Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

kranenborg

Hello

Using PLX-DAQ your microcontroller app can either read individual MS-Excel file cells or read the state of the tickboxes of the PLX-Controller window. This should be sufficient to define any actions for the microcontroller based on the input at the PC. In the first case your app sends the "CELL,GET,CellId" textstring, for the second option you can use the "DOWNLOAD,GET", "STORED,GET", "USER1,GET", "USER2,GET" and similar type of strings. I have used these basic PLX-DAQ commands to implement an MS-Excel-based interactive GUI (for a different microcontroller, not a Picaxe). Is that the info you need?

/Jurjen

Last edited:

agoodevans

Excel Plx-daq

Thanks Kranenboug, This gives me a starting point. Sorry for the delay in responding. I will have a play and see what I get get into the PicAxe.

agoodevans

Thanks KTarke, inputting from PicAxe was my starting point and PLX fitted the bill. Had know idea whether two way comms was possible- just fishing?