18X v. 20X2

pmulvey

Is there any compelling reason not to use the 20X2 over the 18X? 20X2 seems better all round and same price.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
If you cannot think of a compelling reason there probably is none, and if you have completely free choice in what to use then the 20X2 would likely be a better choice than the 18X.

There are reasons why an 18X may be a better choice than a 20X2, particularly when upgrading a project which involved an 18, 18A or 18M, or if you wanted to use a specific command which only the 18X supported. If you don't have such constraints then those arguments won't apply.

pmulvey

Just found one reason

Rapid don't stock them! As a college we are limited with suppliers.
I'm getting our students to design and fabricate their own project board so 18X will be fine.

I know that this is all written down somewhere?!?
How do the 20X2 programs in different slots communicate?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Note that the 20X2 has only one internal slot, unlike the 28X2 and 40X2 which have four internal slots. All can however run programs in external slots, those being held on external I2C Eeprom.

When running a program held n external slots, program execution will be slower than when run from internal slots. External slot programs can be loaded into internal slots for faster execution; see the BOOTI2C command.

slimplynth

Rapid don't stock them! As a college we are limited with suppliers.
I'm getting our students to design and fabricate their own project board so 18X will be fine.

I know that this is all written down somewhere?!?
How do the 20X2 programs in different slots communicate?
can you not suggest to the college purchasing dept that they add Tech-Supplies as an approved supplier?