18X project board

RickAlty

Hi - my order of chips etc came today, and included was a CHI030 project board for the 18X. Am I missing something, or does this board have no facility for switching a "Prog/Run" option so as to communicate with a PC after the program is downloaded?

Richard

eclectic

Richard.

The board doesn't need a jumper.
The 08 series share pin 0 Serout / Output.
See Manual 1. Page 17 note 2

The 18 series have dedicated pins.
See manual 1 page 18

e.

Edited by - eclectic on 13/08/2006 07:26:10

RickAlty

The "Serial In" for programming the 18X is leg 3, but according to the manual you can't use that pin for serial commnication from the PC during a program - it's solely for programming the chip.

On the project board, the data from the PC goes directly to Leg 3 during programming, but as far as I can see, there's no provision for then sending data to the 18X while the program is running

Richard

eclectic

Have a look at this thread,
(it's one of many),
then Hippy's website reference.

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/forum/Topic.asp?topic_id=2143&forum_id=14&Topic_Title=still%2Bconfused%2Babout%2BPC%2Binterfacing&forum_title=No+new+posts+please%21+8

<A href='http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/forum/Topic.asp?topic_id=2143&amp;forum_id=14&amp;Topic_Title=still%2Bconfused%2Babout%2BPC%2Binterfacing&amp;forum_title=No+new+posts+please%21+8' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

e.

RickAlty

I understand all that - what I was saying wa that I thought the project board would have a prog/run jumper so that the PC TX can be switched from the serial in programming pin to a regular input pin without havint to disconnect the cable and connect it to another jack.

Richard

useless

UM, can I ask a quick q (s) on this thread, Im about to leap into my first 18 pin (18x) project and am about to get the projectboard specified in this thread, can I just get some stuff straight...
can I or can I not:
&gt;use the sertxd command with this board?
&gt;use all three of the anologue inputs (adc)?

eclectic

Useless.

Yes and 2/3.

References;

Manual 1 p.18
Manual 2 p.60 p.77
CHI030 datasheet
e.

Edited by - eclectic on 13/08/2006 10:10:40

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I don't think any of the Rev-Ed PCB's have an option to switch serial from the PC to another pin for run-time communications.