18m2

I read the specs for the new multicore 18M2 picaxe but I can't find how the cores interact.

I am thinking about using 1 core for timing and the core routines, another for user input and sensors and a third for display. I understood the b1,b2 etc variables are local per core but are 'global' variables available also?

Second question about the touch sensors. Are they robust enough to use outdoors?

Chavaquiah

Errr... no, no.

The M2s are not multicore. They can run up to 4 tasks but on a single core, using time slicing (or rather, one instruction from each task at a time).

Variables are not local either. B1, b2, etc. are all global.

Tasks can be suspended, resumed or restarted from other tasks.

I suggest you download the 18M2 Datasheet and read the chapter "Parallel Task Processing" from Picaxe's Manual 1 as these explain the M2 better than I can.

i2c4me

The new 18M2

I purchased 2 of these new chips last week, but I'm having trouble programming them. I loaded a program to access an I2C EEPROM which didn't work (of course!) and now the chip won't talk to the PC program. The new chip has no reset pin, HELP!:confused::eek:

Paul

westaust55

@i2c4me,
Would be good to start a new thread for a new topic.

Did you try a search on your i2c related problem?

A problem has been found with the 18M2 when accessing EEPROMs that use a word (16bit) variable to define the memory location.
This problem arises with say a 24LC256 but not a 24LC16.

Forum member hippy has posted a work around in another thread. See here:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=143109

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
now the chip won't talk to the PC program. The new chip has no reset pin, HELP!:confused::eek:
Try using the Hard Reset procedure. Power-off the 18M2, initiate a download, then power it back on when the "Connecting to hardware..." message is shown.