18M2 motor driver led flasher

alhoop

I am now using a Picaxe-14M to drive (through a IXDN404PI chip) a DC gearmotor while checking for a low on an input pin at which time the motor is stopped. While the motor is running I would also like to flash a LED. Sensing when the input goes low and stopping the motor is critical time wise. Can all this be accomplished with a Picaxe-14M or do I wait for the M2 version?
Thanks
Al

Last edited:

alhoop

I have 2 18m2s on order. I have a 14M doing the motor and monitor part of the above question. The 14M is socketed so can I plug the 18M2 in the socket and let pins 8-11 float?
Thanks
Al

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Unfortunately the 14-pin and 18-pin PICAXE pinouts are not compatible so you cannot plug an 18M2 into a 14M socket. Pinout details are in PICAXE Manual 1.

8-pin, 14-pin and 20-pin PICAXE are electrically compatible and can be used in any of those sockets.

westaust55

With respect to post 1
Please provide some additional information.
Posting your program (well commented) will enable folks here to assess what the 14M is currently doing, how the input for stopping is handled ( is it by interrupt ) and finally the best way to implement the flashing LED as you desire

Last edited:

alhoop

Once again I asked before looking. Guess I was thinking about the 20M2 pinouts.Sorry.
I will post the program later.
Al

alhoop

The 18M2 works great - at least in simulation - The program that drives the motor and checks for a low when the motor driven mechanism is where I want it to be is start0.
I suspend start1 until the motor starts then resume start1 until the motor mechanism reaches the desire location then suspend start1 again. While start1 is running it flashes the leds. Don't wish to provide the code as I plan on submitting the lot to a magazine.
Now to wait for my 18M2s.

Thanks Picaxe for the multitaskers.

Al