18m touch

sid

I'm just going to start playing around with the touch function on an 18m2 but would like some advice/clarification around the touch pad.
The data sheet states that a touch pad can be created using a 20mm copper shape on a pcb as long as the pad is isolated from the finger by 2mm of plastic.

So the question is....
can the pcb be used as the isolation material, eg: 20mm copper pad on the copper side of the pcb and the touch zone on the other side of the pcb above the copper pad ?

Rgds all,
Sid

eclectic

I'm just going to start playing around with the touch function on an 18m2 but would like some advice/clarification around the touch pad.
The data sheet states that a touch pad can be created using a 20mm copper shape on a pcb as long as the pad is isolated from the finger by 2mm of plastic.

So the question is....
can the pcb be used as the isolation material, eg: 20mm copper pad on the copper side of the pcb and the touch zone on the other side of the pcb above the copper pad ?

Rgds all,
Sid
It should work, but please test before
committing to an etched board.

e

sid

It should work, but please test before
committing to an etched board.

e
That makes sense and is perhaps something I should have thought of first,
I just wondered if anyone had any experience before like you say I committed to etch, thanks

sid

Feedback.

I've just cut a 15x15mm square of pcb, soldered a length of 0.5 copper wire approx 20cm long to it connected the free end into port c.1, put the following code into the 18m2
Code:
main:
touch16 C.1,w0 
if w0 > 7000 then high B.4
else
low B.4 
endif
goto main
And it works!
It also works on a 10x10mm square as well
I need never buy a switch again
Magic!