1.3´ OLED IIC Display

Anonym

So, I finally got my OLED display (see pictures attached). I connected the SCL pin of the display to C.1 (hi2 scl) on my 08M2 picaxe and the SDA pin of the display to C.2 (hi2c sda). Using the code found in this threat (https://bit.ly/2v9ztdm) - which I will also attach below - I tried running the thing, but nothing happens. I think it might have something to do with me perhaps using the wrong address of the display, which I am guessing is written somewhere on the back (1st picture)? Also, what is the voltage on the SDA and SCL lines supposed to be? I have around 3.3V.

Attachments

Aries

The addresses are shown as 0x78 and 0x7A (depending, I presume, on the presence or absence of a jumper). It's likely that these need shifting to the left, so that they are (as it says in the Picaxe manual) in bits 7-1, not 6-0. So your %01111000 would be %11110000 etc.

The voltage on the SCL and SDA lines is pulled up to the operating voltage, so if you are working at 3.3 volts, that is what you should see.

I don't know the device, but in general it's safer to start with i2cslow until you know it is working. Also, make sure that the addressing is really i2cbyte and not i2cword. It's not the size of the value you are sending, but the maximum address on the slave which determines which one you use.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Do you have a part number for the display, a link to what you purchased ?

I'm afraid I have to say that the soldering in your second photo looks 'pretty manky' and there even appears to be damage to the LCD, hopefully just to the tear off plastic covering the screen and not enough to have damaged it operationally.

The best way to avoid device and module damage is to solder headers to the display PCB and use header pins on the PICAXE PCB or on breadboard. It's usually much easier to solder the headers cleanly and it also means the device or module can be moved to something else when done.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The addresses are shown as 0x78 and 0x7A ... It's likely that these need shifting to the left, so that they are (as it says in the Picaxe manual) in bits 7-1, not 6-0. So your %01111000 would be %11110000 etc.
%11110xxx would be an indicator of a 10-bit address so I would suspect they are expressed as PICAXE compatible 8-bit addresses.