08m2 HELP

Buzzer

Hello everyone,

Firstly, I would like to start off with a joke, because not enough people smile nowadays!

You are in a solid steel room, no entrances or exits. In the middle, there is a saw on a table, how do you get out??

Saw the table in half, the two halves make a whole, so jump through the hole!!

OK, rubbish puns aside, I have a download problem. Before you sigh and flame me, I have read the manuals, checked the download circuit, done a feedback loop test...etc. (The only thing I can't really check is the chips, but they work in my circuit, so I guess they're OK.)
Because one of the chips was using serin I have also tried to hard reset (from what I gather, all I needed to do was to start the download and once it's initiated, apply the power; feel free to correct me if I am wrong :O)

The weird thing is that I am getting some freaky messages about UNKNOWN x.x, they are random numbers and letters. It even tells me I am using the wrong chip :confused: I have attached pictures if needed. Also if needed, I am using MacAxePad (is this often glitchy?) on a MacBookAir and the chip has 08m2+ written on it.

I posted here with the hope that this may have happened before. Thank you for your valuable time

Screen Shot.jpg
Screen Shot 1.jpg

Buzzer

Thanks for the prompt reply, I am using version 1.3.2

I re-downloaded AxePad (just in case it was an issue to do with the programmer) only two days ago.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Can you confiorm you are using the AXE027 cable? A hard reset should get any chip working, we can't reproduce the error messages you are stating here.

Buzzer

Definitely an AXE027, I have previously programmed the chip, it has only stopped working now.

Is my method of hard reset OK? I really am not sure if it correct.

Also, I used to use 3 1.2V rechargables, it originally worked, but then gave a hardware verification. I switched to 4 of the same instead, it then worked, until these continuous errors came up. Have I destroyed the chip somehow? I am fairly sure that the specs say that voltage of 4.8V is acceptable. Is there a particular way to check if the chips work without hiaving to test it with the appropriate circuit?
Thanks.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I'd check the batteries simply haven't gone flat as a first step, try recharging them, try others, and try with fresh 3 x 1.5V Alkaline.

For Hard Reset the timing does play a part; turn power on and release it from reset too soon and it may start running before it sees the download initiation. Best bet is to wait until "Searching for hardware on COMx" appears in the download pop-up then power up the PICAXE.

Armp

For Hard Reset the timing does play a part; turn power on and release it from reset too soon and it may start running before it sees the download initiation. Best bet is to wait until "Searching for hardware on COMx" appears in the download pop-up then power up the PICAXE.
Since the AXE027 is powered from the USB port does the above reset procedure apply ~5V on serin while the 08M2 has no power applied?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Since the AXE027 is powered from the USB port does the above reset procedure apply ~5V on serin while the 08M2 has no power applied?
It applies a current limited 5V via the 22K to Serial In. That would be about 230uA. We have seen no cases nor reports that this prevents any PICAXE from successfully resetting when power is applied.

Buzzer

I'd check the batteries simply haven't gone flat as a first step, try recharging them, try others, and try with fresh 3 x 1.5V Alkaline.
Yes, two different sets of 4 rechargeable and 3 fresh alkalines have been applied.

Regarding the strange messages which continuously appear, does anyone have a possible theory on why it may recognise the wrong chip?

Thanks to everyone

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Regarding the strange messages which continuously appear, does anyone have a possible theory on why it may recognise the wrong chip?
The most likely guess would ultimately be corrupt or incorrect data seen by the downloader which is confusing it into thinking things are not as they are. That could possibly arise through hardware issues or something being done to the Serial Out pin but a Hard Reset should resolve the later.

You could select Debug or Terminal within AXEpad and see if there are any obvious updates happening there.

You could also describe your hardware in more detail; is there anything connected to Serial Out / Pin 0, a servo or anything ?

Buzzer

You could also describe your hardware in more detail; is there anything connected to Serial Out / Pin 0, a servo or anything ?
For one chip, it is a simple LED. The other two were not using serial out.

I will try tomorrow using debug/terminal and keep you updated if it yields any results.

Paix

Direct and to the point, good.
Please give us photographs and a circuit diagram of the circuit that seems to be having the problem.

You indicated that you had performed the loopback test, but didn't actually say that it was successful. Was it?

You said that a previous circuit with only an LED worked OK. So the only thing that has changed ,cough, is the hardware and the program. Circuit diagram also please?
Unless you see no point in it . . .

I'm sure that Hippy, Dippy et al are having difficulties with their crystal balls at the moment. Something to do with sunspots. :)

Buzzer

Hi Paix,

The loopback test did work.
The program has changed, but even a blank program won't download.
Circuit diagram.... sure, but only tomorrow, as it is too late now. However, I made the mistake of using serial in as an input; on one of the circuits as a regular switch, on the other as an Infra-Red sensor. Predictably, neither worked. Perhaps this may be the cause of my problems?

Unless you see no point in it . . .
;)

Paix

That's fine, you need your rest, it's been a long day and your mind will be fresh on the morrow.

Schematic and photograph please.