08M2 help :S

macsoft

Hi there.

I'm trying to use a 08M2 to switch an infrared remote for my camera.
I've done with success with thru previous version of 08m2, but now it just does not work.
I'm doing it the simplest way i know:
The signal that comes out from one channel, powers directly the small infrared remote (the remote has the button pressed, so when PICAXE send power, it should send The IR signal).

What seams easy, and used to work before, now it just does not :S

Any ideas? anything i can add to the circuit to stabilize it? the idea was to do this with the smallest amount of components...

inglewoodpete

It is very hard for forum members to comment when we can see very little detail of your setup.

Is the only change you have made swapping the 08M2 with another 08M2? Or have you built another circuit board etc too?

A circuit, photo of the circuit board and a copy of your code would help us to help you.

macsoft

I'm sorry, i'm not at home right now.
But the circuit is just the basic to let 08M2 run.
The code is just a test code that turns an output ON or OFF.
instead of powering the infrared remote from one CR2025 battery, the idea is to power it directly from one ofe 08m2s output.
THe circuit is the same. i'm a little green in electronics, so maybe i need some diode or condenser o remove interference from the output?

nick12ab

instead of powering the infrared remote from one CR2025 battery, the idea is to power it directly from one ofe 08m2s output.
Is the PICAXE powered by 3v as required by the remote? Are you using the same remote as previously? Does the remote forget the codes you've entered once powered off (universal remotes only).

macsoft

hi and than you.
I tried powering the picaxe with 5 v or 3 v, same result. the remote (in stand alone) works up to 6 volts with no problem. Its not an universal remote. e a small camera remote that just works for one type of camera.
if it helps: the circuit as a LED on another output. the program turns both channels ON. so, the LED should lit, and the remote should fire.
What i notice, is the led flickers probably in the same frequency of the remotes IR led. so there maybe some interference coming back from the remote to the picaxe?
The IR on the remote lights up. i can check it pointing it to a webcam. but it does not trigger the camera.
If i disconnect the remote, and power it to a battery (3 to 5 v) it works again :S

westaust55

the idea is to power it directly from one ofe 08m2s output.
THe circuit is the same.
The circuit is the same as what ?

Powering an LED IR type or other directly from a PICAXE output is not highly recommended.
DO you have a current limiting resistor to limit the current below 20 mA. If no resistor or more than 25 mA current, you will damage the PICAXE chip.
If experience and using PWM you can use alternative conceptys, but for a beginning and if wishing to have IR communications over any distance then use a transistor as an interface to drive the IR LED.

What is the camera IR comms protocol?
The inbuilt PICAXE commands use the Sony "SIRC" communications protocol.
Or are you looking for simple on/off IR LED signals.

As already mentioned, your program, circuit diagram and maybe even some data about the signal the camera expects to see will help us to help you.

macsoft

The circuit is the same as what ?

Powering an LED IR type or other directly from a PICAXE output is not highly recommended.
DO you have a current limiting resistor to limit the current below 20 mA. If no resistor or more than 25 mA current, you will damage the PICAXE chip.
If experience and using PWM you can use alternative conceptys, but for a beginning and if wishing to have IR communications over any distance then use a transistor as an interface to drive the IR LED.

What is the camera IR comms protocol?
The inbuilt PICAXE commands use the Sony "SIRC" communications protocol.
Or are you looking for simple on/off IR LED signals.

As already mentioned, your program, circuit diagram and maybe even some data about the signal the camera expects to see will help us to help you.
Hi,
Ok i have a small infrared remote that works usually from a 3v cr2025 battery.
i'm not tring to send IR signals from the picaxe.
The picaxe works only as a trigger to power an infrared remote.
The idea is to connect a picaxe output to the + lead on the remote.
when output goes high, the remote gets power and sends IR code (button on the remote is always pressed).

westaust55

Okay, I understand your description above.
Are you sure the IR remote power suppy current will not exceed the PICAXE output current rating?

papaof2

You need to determine the actual current the remote uses when sending a signal. Do you have a multimeter or scope? The pulsed current to the IR LED could easily be 50 or 100ma, which is much more than a PICAXE pin is capable of delivering.

Try powering the remote from the supply that powers the PICAXE but use a transistor or FET to switch that power on/off.

John