08M/14M time measuring

lazarus

I'm playing with the idea to experiment with (semi-)high speed photography.

The idea is to capture arrows, darts, bb's shot at 400 feet per second, falling eggs etc on a picture.

In order to do this, one has to be extremely lucky while pressing the camera trigger or use some electronis to do the work for him. (I'm going with option 2 :)

Anyway, the setup exists of a sensor part that has 2 sensors placed appart about 10 cm. When a object travels across the two sensors it will first trigger sensor A and then sensor B.
The PICAXE needs to measure this time and multiply it by 10, wait that ammount of time and then send a signal to the camera. The speed of the object varies but will never be realy slow.
The camera is places 1m after sensor B.

With this setup the PICAXE will first measure the speed of the object and then calculate how long to wait before it reaches the focus of the camera.

That's the theory.

However there are some possible issues.
1) speed: I'll probably have to run the picaxe in 8Mhz speed
2) accurate measuring: I'll have to find a fast way to measure time accuratly. Ideal would be to read the internal timer or so but I can't find if this is possible in picaxe 08M or 14M. (these are the only ones I have)

The code would look like this:

' Function
' ========
' - Measure time getween sensorA trigger and sensorB trigger
' - Wait 10 * time, then signal the camera/flash to take a picture

' Pins
' ====
' PIN1 = sensor A
' PIN2 = sensor B
' PIN3 = camera trigger

do
'Reset timer/counter
w0 = 0

'wait for sensorA
while pin1 = 0
wend

'count up while waiting for sensorB
while pin2 = 0
w0 = w0 + 1
wend

'increase time
w0 = w0 * 10

'count down untill time = 0
while w0 > 0
w0 = w0 - 1
wend

'signal camera or flash to take picture
high pin3
pause 500
low pin3
loop

Questions:
- will a picaxe be fast enough? I know it does not parse 4.000.000 commands per second but only a few 1000's
- Is there a better way to do this compared to my code?

many thanks for all feedback and insights..

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Check the maths, but 400 feet per second is 12192cm per second, 10cm would be a period of 820us. The camera is a metre away from the second sensor so you have 8.2ms to determine the time, multiply by 10, wait then trigger the camera ...

PulsIn <pin>, w0
w1 = w0 * 10 - <fudgefactor>
PulsOut <dummypin>, w1
PulsOut <cameratrigger>, <time>

May do it. But don't forget to factor in how long the camera may take to respond to a trigger. You can compensate for that in <fudgefactor> and could simply move the camera back another metre and multiply by 20. I'd use a 20X2 at 64MHz so you can get the most accurate timing. You can always slow that down whereas you cannot speed others up.

I'd probably set it up then move the trigger sensors until you have them right so the shot falls mid-frame. Never done it though.

papaof2

Is the camera being used capable of totally manual operation? If not, time to select a new camera.

Older film cameras had manual settings for everything - I got action shots of our kids by presetting everything and pressing the shutter release at the right moment. Try catching someone coming down a hill on skates or a skateboard with a typical automatic camera...

Unfortunately, most digital cameras (except a few high end professional ones) do not have the option presets - they insist on doing focus, white balance, lens opening, shutter speed, etc before every shot (Big Brother obviously knows more than you do ;-) This can easily add 0.2 to 0.5 seconds to the delay between pressing the button and the actual taking of the picture.

With an autofocus camera, you need an object of the proper orientation (often a vertical line) in the frame at very close to the same distance from the camera as the moving target. A piece of glass or clear plastic that has a line painted on either edge can be placed just in front of the target's path to provide a still image for the autofocus. The lens' depth of field will give a few inches of focus behind the autofocus target.

If you can preset the camera for a long exposure, do the photographs inside where you can control the light and use the motion detector to trigger a strobe flash - the delays involved are tiny compared to the camera.

John

lazarus

Thanks for the feedback,

the camera is a decent Canon EOS 400D that can be focused manually and it has a bulb mode with mirror lockup to get better image quality. In case the camera's mechanics are not fast enough, I'll hook up the flash.

I guess that a 08M@8Mhz would be a nice first try as the 400 foot per second is realy the maximum speed. My fist test will probably be a ball or egg that drops.. that would be no problem at all I guess.

I hop I can do some testing this month, if it works out i'll post some results :)

fernando_g

Those famous images caught by Dr. Harold Edgerton where a bullet is piercing an apple, were all done by triggering a flash in a darkened room.