08 / 08M Programming problem

slurp

Hi,

I'm feeling frustrated with this, but certain it's a mistake I've made but not sure how!

I'm equally certain that this isn't a labelling problem, I've not bought any blank 12F629s (08) or 12F683s (08M) and I've not had these anywhere near my PICkit (that was a 12F675 I used there) but I can't seem figure out why I can't program my 08 or 08M picaxes (had them a while and in other breadboard circuits, not programmed more than a couple of dozen times).

Vista & USB OK, when I plug into the socket on my minsumo still get a firmware check (on 18X circuits) without problem.

Breadboard now stripped to programming daughter boardboard (Manual 1, Page 7 circuit - build new early last night), the picaxe, 1A Low Drop-Out Regulator and a pack of 4 fresh AA batteries. (same battery pack as used to checked the 18X circuit and regulator type is common between circuits)

On the 08/08M I tried to read firmware version, also tried to follow thru' with connecting power after clicking the programming button to force a reset but to no avail.

This was checked on the 08 and 08M with only 4 connections on the bread board +v, 0v, Sin and Sout. The programming socket daughter board also carries the 10K and 22K resistors. I've double checked circuit and tested resistances with a meter, all appears ok.

Regulator output tested as 4.9V, testing Sin to 0V (on the chip legs) while viewing the programming editor connection test I read -0.3v and +4.6V as expected.

I trying to figure what I've missed or some other test I can do this evening. I'm thinking about connecting it to PICkit but expect to see it report protected code.... It's a while since I've used the PICkit, will the PICaxe have some other Code ID it might report?

Regards,
Colin

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
PICkit is not going to help, in fact more likely to do damage.

Have you tried a different area of the breadboard. Why use a 4xAA + regulator - just try with 3xAA cells direct whilst trouble shooting!

westaust55

Try uploading you circuit or better a photo of the breadboard with the 08M wired up as you are trying to get it working.

Someone might spot a faux pas

slurp

Thankyou, resolved the problem.

Moved to a differing area of the breadboard, started again with 3xAA firmware check OK and download fine. Reconnected the 4 with the regulator too, again no problem on all three chip.

Maybe a night's sleep makes all the difference! Now to rebuild the rest of the circuit :D

Best regards,
Colin

Mycroft2152

Thankyou, resolved the problem.

Moved to a differing area of the breadboard, started again with 3xAA firmware check OK and download fine. Reconnected the 4 with the regulator too, again no problem on all three chip.

Maybe a night's sleep makes all the difference! Now to rebuild the rest of the circuit :D

Best regards,
Colin
Breadboard contacts after a lot of use, or using oversized leads tend to get very loose and sloppy.

This can cause all sorts of problems.

It is probably best to junk the breadboard mark the bad holes.