XBee Wireless Module Communication

sebdanger

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you guys could help me. Is it possible to use an XBee Wireless chip to send data from a PICAXE chip directly to a computer without having another Xbee wireless job plugged into the computer, i.e just receiving the data through the PC's build in wireless card?

I did have a look for this but was unable to find any tech spec for the wireless chip other than the fairly lack luster data sheet it comes with.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

Seb,

manuka

Although at similar frequencies (~2.4GHz) ZigBee & WiFi use totally different wireless techniques. They're chalk & cheese if you like!

THOUGHT:You may have some mileage with Bluetooth each end- it's a serial technology after all & BT modules are pretty cheap. However BT ranges are typically just "across the room". What data rates & range do you want?

What is the intention- just saving money? Considered easy to use 433 MHz units? Stan

sebdanger

Cheers for all your replies. I want to use it to send data from a load cell to a laptop or portable device e.g. PDA, so each load cell could be attached to its wireless module to send data to the laptop, bluetooth sounds like it might be worth looking into, as its range wouldn't need to be that great (no more than 10m) handy for bluetooth really.

So the ZigBee & WiFi are at different frequencies, um... via wifi would of been neat. are well. Thanks to every body for all the responses so far!

Using just 433 MHz might work, although not sure how this works?

BeanieBots: cheers for the link, I like it although if I can find a cheaper solution it would be better.

hippy: ta for the datasheet!

Seb,

manuka

BT,WiFi & ZigBee are all at 2.4GHz (as are cordless phones, AV monitors,microwave ovens etc)! However they all use totally different encoding techniques. (XBee is a tradename for a ZigBee based offering)

433 MHz wireless + PICAXE serial data handling is so straightforward & cheap that you'll weep with joy. See numerous mentions at www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz

FWIW, a recent "NetStumbler" style open source WiFi tool called InSSIDer may help visualising your local 2.4GHz spectrum usage. I've personally yet to try it, but reviewers have raved. Download it (free) from => http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider - these are the guys behind the great Wi-Spy dongle.

Attachments

Last edited:

manuka

Yes indeed- 433 MHz PICAXE wireless data handling can be pretty straight forward, but these Oatley modules are just AM & hence may be VERY susceptible to local impulse noise. I'd be wary of their claimed ranges as well ! FM versions are usually preferred for more demanding situations (Jaycar's FM "Keymark" offerings are the most popular in this price range), although even better are GMSK types such as those offered by Yishi. Stan

Last edited: