xBee not working

I have an xBee starter set. The board without the picaxe chip that connects to the PC is fine, and I have set it at 2400 baud.

However, the other one has problems. I can write programs to the chip, but when I try to factory reset, read version etc it says 'no response'. It doesn't help swapping the xBee modules around.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Richard

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I'm not clear here - Have you tried the 'non-working XBee' in the PCB which did work ?

You could also try using X-CTU from MaxStream which is a more advanced version of software than the Programming Editor Wizard. It may not recognise the configuration if the XBee has old firmwar installed but you should be able to see if it's recognised / responding at various baud rates.

http://www.maxstream.net/support/knowledgebase/article.php?kb=125

When the non-working xBee is insterted into the working PCB (with the computer chip), it is possible to set the baud rate/restet it etc. The problem seems to be with the PCB?

It is not the battery, and I don't think it is the xBee, as it is the same if I swap them round.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I'm confused now ...

When the non-working xBee is insterted into the working PCB (with the computer chip) ...
I'm confused now because you earlier said, "The board without the picaxe chip that connects to the PC is fine, and I have set it at 2400 baud", so do both XBee's work in the board which dos not have the PICAXE ?

It's probably best to save confusion if you label your XBee's 1 & 2, and your boards N ( no PICAXE ) and P ( PICAXE ) and then report which work and do not for N1, N2, P1 and P2.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
N1 and N2 do not work, but the picaxe can be programmed.
N's being the ones with No PICAXE's ???

P1 and P2 work.
My mistake here for not realising there are two types of "working"; is this P1 and P2 work with the PICAXE communicating with XBee's or P1 and P2 PICAXE's able to be programmed from the PC ?

Sorry we're not getting too far very quickly but I'm having trouble visualising what does and doesn't work so it's not easy to pinpoint a possible cause as to why they behave differently.

You indicated you had a xBee Starter Set... I believe the Starter Set has 1 RS232 Development board (and this is what you have connected to your computer, and this is working fine?).

What kind of board are you using for the other xbee? how are you powering it? You do know that it can only take 3 volts... right?