writing info to satisfy inputs into an lcd display

peter howarth

do lcd displays work similar to a 4516 , you load bcd into the load input pins , take a pin high or low, and then the 4516 counts up or down from the loaded value, in other words does an lcd accept bcd data into either 4 or 8 inputs, then write/load data by taking another pin of the lcd high or low, the lcd stores it then displays the ascii character, or is it a whole lot more complicated than this

inglewoodpete

I'm not about to research the operation of the 4516 chip as I think it would be a distraction to your project, which I assume is to get your LCD operating.

I have replied to another of your threads regarding operating an LCD, referring you to this thread: Universal Test Code for LCDs.

If you have studied that thread and its code, you will have seen that operating an LCD is quite a simple matter of sending a series of bytes to the chip. The bytes are directed to the LCD as commands to configure its operation (Register Select (RS) pin Low) or Characters to be displayed (Register Select (RS) pin High).

Depending on how the LCD is initialised (4-bit data or 8-bit data) the Enable pin (normally held low) is pulsed high (twice for 4-bit or once for 8-bit) to get the LCD to accept the data byte.