Wireless

Just reading the datasheet for Picaxe Net server and it struck me that you could attach it to either of these products to add wireless capability:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG602.php
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGE111.php

That way you could say, make a Wi-Fi robot without having an actual PC on board.. and also reprogram the picaxe wirelessly using the web/FTP interface. Quite some potential...

Gussy

hey,

just a tip, for a wireless AP/router you should look at the WRT54G (prefferably the WRT54GL version)

These a very stable routers and are easily taken out of their cases and mounted whever you want. They are AFAIK the most wideley used router for short-long distance wireless links by the average home user.

The reason the GL version is good is because you can load up 3rd party firmware onto it, DD-WRT being the best (IMO)

This ming not mean much to you but what it means it that you can get a cheap strudy AP with 4 port switch with lots of extra features (thanks to the 3rd party software) like ajdusting the antenna output and transmitting power. With this you can add a nice ommnidirectional antenna and up the power to get the best range.

Just my 2 cents

Hope it helps someone

msmithy12

hi, did any1 get anywhere with this is it possible, i wanna try but dont have 110GBP to throw around willy nilly.

Please reply with some pics, links ect. if u have done this or if u know it to be possible

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

Take a look around at car boot sales and other places for second hand Wi-Fi routers. I've picked up loads at £1 a piece. Mostly ADSL and I'm on cable but not a problem as it's only the Wi-Fi and LAN ports you'll be needing.

Connecting your PC to this 'PICAXE Wi-Fi' wirelessly as if it were just another router is relatively straight forward, but if you want the 'PICAXE Wi-Fi' to wirelessly connect to an existing Wi-Fi router it does get more complicated and some routers aren't suitable.

lbenson

The Asus wl-530gu is a newer router which can take either the dd-wrt or openWrt operating systems, and can talk to a picaxe through usb-serial (and probably through the onboard serial port--3.3 volt). Available in the U.S. from newegg for $30 this past weekend.