Wireless programming ?

erco

MANY years back, the Parallax BASIC Stamp forum also had an aged thread questing for wireless programming. I can't find it now since they changed forum formats and it's unsearchable. Long story short, the holy grail was finding a wireless USB link that worked. One guy finally found one, IIRC it was IOgear brand that worked, but it was an obscure/obsolete model even then. Not very convenient since the hardware was large and power-hungry... it was not designed to be mobile or battery operated. But apparently it worked. The Stamp uses a fourth line for DTR. Would likely work on a Picaxe too. Will advise if I ever find the thread. That was a simple case of testing lots and lots of existing USB links to find one that worked.

Edit: Found it, sadly the hub only worked up through Windows XP & Vista. https://www.iogear.com/datasheet/generate/GUWH104/view

vista.jpg

Last edited:

Goeytex

...The PICAXE was developed long before USB was prevalent, needed to be RS232, had to be relatively low speed, 4800 baud, to work, and had to be reliable. The byte-by-byte transfer is robust and and works well for serial cable transfers, RS232 or USB.
@hippy
That is precisely what I concluded. And I hope my comments regarding the byte-by-byte protocol are not taken as a criticism. I understand the reasons it was done that way and the need to maintain backward compatibility. To change this would be a humongous task and not worth the time and effort. It works well and is reliable ( albeit kind of slow).

@everyone
I think that given the constraints of Picaxe Programming Protocol, about the best that can be expected for wireless programming is is about half the speed of normal programming. This should be tolerable for most use cases.

** UPDATE **

I just tweaked the settings for the DRF1212 and was able to reduce the time between bytes to an average of 42 ms. This means that the wireless
link adds about 23.5 ms to the normal 18.5 ms for wired programming: My results are below:

RF Device: DRF1212D10, Mode1, RF Data Rate: 40K bps
Target Chip: 14M2+
Program Size: 512 Bytes (As reported by PE6)
Actual Bytes Transferred During Programming: 1024 Bytes
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wired Programming: 19.4 secs
Wireless Programming: 42.6 sec
----------------------------------------------------------------------
This is as good as it gets with the DorJi DRF1212D10. ( Semtech SX1212)
I will be finalizing the code and schematics for this DRF1212D10 version.

Goey