Wireless manual switch

late_voyager

Hi looking to operate a manual toggle or push button switch wired to a box to then wireless send signal to a Picaxe input a few metres away. Any wireless type addons? ones in Picaxe shop never in stock other web sites seem to always be discontinued. Infra red not possible.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Any paired 'dumb 433MHz' modules should work with the PICAXE and should be reliable enough to carry a simple button pushed indication.

It may also be worth looking at 'keyfob modules' and receivers designed for RF control of doors which simply pulse an output when a keyfob button is pressed, though one would need to figure out how to interface with the keyfob or transmitter module.

late_voyager

Any paired 'dumb 433MHz' modules should work with the PICAXE and should be reliable enough to carry a simple button pushed indication.

It may also be worth looking at 'keyfob modules' and receivers designed for RF control of doors which simply pulse an output when a keyfob button is pressed, though one would need to figure out how to interface with the keyfob or transmitter module.
Everywhere i look sells a key fob and reciever very cheap that i could interface however nowhere seems to sell transmitter alone or pcb etc it's always a fob.. don't want a fob.. lol

Aries

It depends on how much you want to put into your "box". If you are prepared to have a Picaxe at both ends, then you could use the NRF24L01. It's not that easy to program the Picaxe to handle it, but there is a forum thread here which has a basic example (it actually emulates a fob). I use the NRF24L01 as my standard, usually with the Picaxe 20M2, for wireless transmissions in the house - they are cheap (just as well, as they don't like 5V or reverse polarity) and reliable, although generally short range.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Everywhere i look sells a key fob and reciever very cheap that i could interface however nowhere seems to sell transmitter alone or pcb etc it's always a fob.. don't want a fob.. lol
If the thing is going to be in a box does it really matter what it is, how 'bodged' the solution has to be to make it work ?

It should be possible to to find a keyfob you can dismantle, remove the buttons, and add the button you want to use on the end of flying wires soldered to the PCB.

A big advantage of a hacked keyfob solution is it likely includes everything to allow it run on cell batteries with minimal power draw.

The bear

As hippy's post #5. Garage door fob and receiver work well. The one I used was Picaxe linked at both ends (Rx & Tx). It was used to put a remote light ON & OFF on an outbuilding.