Winstar oled 100x16 graphic displays

john2051

Hi does anyone have any experience with the Winstar WEG010016AWPP5N00000 ?

I bought one to see what they are like, and that the pinout looks compatible with
the axe133y, even though the software may not be.
It looks like the axe133y uses the 8 bit interface to the displays, could technical
confirm this please? I have attached the datasheet ( I hope), although the information
it gives is somewhat basic.
If these could work with the axe133, they could be useful perhaps.

regards john

Attachments

westaust55

It looks like the axe133y uses the 8 bit interface to the displays,
Looking at the AXE133 code here:
http://www.picaxe.com/downloads/axe133.bas.txt
it is definitely an 8-bit parallel data interface

From the Winstar spec/datasheet you link to the interface is 8-bit and compatible with the AXE133.
You will need to find the separate controller datasheet to ascertain the commands to use that graphic display.

Last edited:

nick12ab

It uses the same controller as the character modules. You can simply replace the character module with this new module.

Since it uses the same controller, it should work right away as a text display without any change to the AXE133 firmware, although there may not be any gap between the characters any more. Some slight changes to the initialization will enable you to use this in graphic mode. See the WS0010 datasheet for details.

john2051

Thankyou both, I thought it was 8bit, but thought I'd check. I did work out the circuitry for the backlight sometime ago,
but of course I wont need it for this display. I thought this would be a good one to learn on, as I read your experiences with
vfd displays Nick, and as I have some 240x128 graphic vfds with a serial interface, I thought I would hopefully pick an easy one to start.
The vfds I have are noritake, and seding text at the correct baudrate does display correctly. As yet, I havent found any winstar
datasheet with the commands, but......
Thanks again, regards john

john2051

Hi Nick, thanks for that, and your in depth tutorial which I found very helpful. While on the subject, these displays with rgb leds, does this mean
that with led control, that you could have a very basic colour display?

Thanks again... john

nick12ab

Hi Nick, thanks for that, and your in depth tutorial which I found very helpful. While on the subject, these displays with rgb leds, does this mean
that with led control, that you could have a very basic colour display?
What displays with RGB LEDs? This one? If that is the case, the same colour is used for the entire display at all times.

john2051

Hi Nick, Its actually the one from hobbytronics, but its bound to be similar. What i was intersted in trying,
with some microsecond timing to change the led colour as it is printing each character. like a sort of
'persistence of vision' effect. Although the more I think about it, the more doubts i have.

regards john

nick12ab

What i was intersted in trying, with some microsecond timing to change the led colour as it is printing each character. like a sort of 'persistence of vision' effect.
Since you want to use a serial display (AXE133), there is already the problem of speed - the serial interface is too slow (a reason to use parallel LCDs). Even with the parallel interface, it won't work well because the response time of a normal LCD is not fast enough for this. Since you already have the LCD, it won't hurt to try it but I can't imagine the "Field Sequential Color-LCD" that some LCD manufacturers are offering being a gimmick.

john2051

Hi Nick, I thought I was being a little optimistic, more out of curiosity that anything else.
At least with the display mentioned, I can use combinations of colour for different menus and
such. I'm going to have another read of your comprehensive guide on lcds. incidentally, how about
doing one on the more common graphic displays (128x64)?
thanks john