Win8 AXE027 driver problems

UAX

I tried to install the drivers of my new AX027 cable on my Windows 8.1 laptop but I keep failing.

I first used the preinstaller method like described in the manual. After plugging the cable in, I tried to download a program on the Picaxe but I got thee "Hardware not found" error. I tried the USB cable test and the cable worked fine. Next I took a look at the Device manager, this is what it looks like:

Picaxe2.JPG

The device is called "USB Serial Converter", not "Picaxe...smth" and it shows up in Hardware/Devices as TTL-232R.
I've tried to remove and install the drivers manually but Windows keeps installing this driver and doesn't let me install the drivers from the Picaxe zip, it says the "best possible drivers" are already installed.

I also tried it on an old Win XP computer but I didn't even get to the point of installing the drivers. Following the instructions of the manual, I plugged the cable in and Windows immediately installed a driver without asking me anything. The Driver seems to be similar to the one on the Win8 PC, except that it is older (2009/2014).

Attachments

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I am not familiar with 8.1 but there should be an option to manually "Update" the drivers which should get around Windows arguing it already has the latest drivers. There may also be a "Use specified driver" rather than "Search for best driver" option you can select.

In Device Manager, what do you see under the "COM Ports" or "Ports (COM & LPT)" sections ?

If the cable test works then the drivers installed may actually be AXE027 compatible and it could be an issue with the PICAXE hardware or the PICAXE chip might just require a "Hard Reset".

UAX

It's shows "USB Serial port (COM3)" under the "COM Ports" section.

I have tried updating th driver and using a specified driver but it doesn't want to install a different driver. I see some kind of reaction in the Picaxe terminal when I connect the powered Picaxe to the USB cable, I'll post a screenshot of that.

How do I do a "Hard Reset"?

UAX

Ok, I have already done that. I found a way to force Windows to install the driver, maybe it will work now.

UAX

OK, I installed the PICAXE driver on both the usb and the com device but it still doesn't work. This is a screenshot of what the Picaxe terminal shows when I have connected power (4.62V).
It keeps adding the same lines...

Unbenannt.JPG

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Which PICAXE chip and what PICAXE hardware are you using ?

Do you have a genuine Rev-Ed AXE027 or some other cable or module compatible with an AXE027 ?

It could be a hardware fault or issue with the board, possibly a problem with the signal reaching the Serial In pin, perhaps a short between pins. It would be worth checking the Serial In pin voltage of the PICAXE while performing a cable test.

UAX

I bought the AXE027 from a official distributor so I assume it's genuine. The hardware I used was a 08m2 on the 08 protoboard. Now I soldered together a 14 protoboard with a 14m2 chip on it: It behaves exactly the same.

It would be worth checking the Serial In pin voltage of the PICAXE while performing a cable test.
So I should measure the serial In pin voltage while performing the cable test that puts 5V on the cable?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure there are no problems with the signal reaching the Serial In pin because all resistances from the 3,5mm connector to the Serial In/Out pins measure fine and I have the same problem with both boards.

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, measure with a meter between 0V and the Serial In pin on the physical PICAXE chip.

That two different boards behave the same way is a little surprising. Is the output from the 14M2 exactly the same as for the 08M2 or are some subtle value/letter differences ?

There shouldn't be a lot which can go wrong when using the 8-pin proto board. It may be worth posting some photographs of that or both.

UAX

Now I've noticed something that definitely isn't ok. I didn't notice this when I first did the cable test but I might just have missed it. When testing for voltage on the 3.5mm connector, I do get 0V and 5V but I get 5V when I should get 0V and vica versa.:eek:

UAX

I've now tested it on the XP laptop as well. I get the same problem while testing the cable, it outputs 0V when it should output 5V and 5V when it should be 0V. I haven't even tried connecting the Picaxe anymore...

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
When testing for voltage on the 3.5mm connector, I do get 0V and 5V but I get 5V when I should get 0V and vica versa.:eek:
It does seem the polarity is inverted and wondering about that was why I asked if it were a genuine Rev-Ed AXE027 or something else.

It could be you have a faulty cable or one which avoided production line configuration and testing or has been re-configured since manufacture. If the configuration is wrong the expected AXE027 VID/PID could also be wrong which might explain why you had problems getting drivers installed.

The best course of action would probably be to return the cable for further investigation, reconfiguration or replacement as appropriate.

UAX

I will return the cable to the shop and I'll take my laptop+picaxe with me to make sure the replacement really works! These USB -> serial cables are extremely frustrating, not a single one has ever worked properly, including this Picaxe cable, a Printer cable and various FTDI cables. That's why I bought the AXE027, to avoid any problems...

This cable doesn't show up as a Rev-ed or any kind of Picaxe cable on the PC so a faulty programming cable sounds plausible. The cable is a little older, from 2011.

Thanks for your help!

Btw. Is it possible that this cable has damaged the Picaxe chips or should they still be ok?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Inverted polarity should not have damaged the PICAXE chips and they should be okay.

UAX

I got a new cable and this time the driver installation worked as shown in the manual and the cable is detected as an AXE027 Picaxe USB cable. Took me just a few minutes to set it up & it works perfectly!

Thanks for your help!