Will the picaxe editor run on Linux?

Gramps

We are planning to drop Windows 7. Sigh.
Thinking about using Linux. Does the editor run okay on Linux?

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It might be possible to get it working through emulation but I don't believe anyone has done it or proven it can be done.

wapo54001

If I remember way back when, the question was asked why PE6 loads so slowly compared to PE5 and the answer was because it uses microsoft .NET to run. If that's the case I think it would take a major rewrite for it to run on anything other than Windows. I may be mis-remembering . . .

wapo54001

Windows 10 with Classic Shell added is a great follow-on to Windows 7. I find Win 10 to be reliable and works like Win 7 as long as you change the update feature to get back some control over when it happens and how it happens. You can still upgrade 7 to 10 at no cost. Find instructions on the web.

I do agree I'd love to leave Windows behind but there are some programs like PE6 that keep me from migrating.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I don't think it's particularly .Net which slows down start-up of PE6 more that PE6 just has to do a lot more than PE5 ever did, but I cannot recall off-hand.

Linux does support Mono and that's fairly mature these days so .Net itself isn't necessarily a problem, but certain Windows specific and third-party components likely will be. It would run in a full-fat Windows Virtual Machine, but pulling PE6 out of that and running just that is the hard part, probably not possible.

We would recommend LinAXEpad or VS Code on Linux, but that does only support Basic programming, doesn't have all the frills of PE6.

Gramps

Thanks for your responses. At this point I'm thinking about buying a cheap Windows 10 machine for internet and running my Windows 7 box alongside it disconnected from the internet. That way I can leave all my picaxe files right where they are and still use Microsoft money 2004. It will not run on Windows 10.

Gramps

Found a Windows 10 machine here at the rescue mission that was not being used. Installed a Windows 7 shell looking great!

lbenson

Don't forget: still possible to upgrade win7 to win10 for free (last time checked; 4 laptops upgraded this past year):

inglewoodpete

@Gramps: I use Windows 10 for almost all of my computer work. However, I still have to run Internet Explorer 6 to view some old documentation. IE6 does not run on Win10. To do this, I loaded a (free) copy of Oracle VM (Virtual Machine), under which I loaded a licenced copy Windows XP Home. I expect that you could load a licenced copy of Win7 under Oracle VM, so that your old software will run.

depeet

I downloaded Win10 from the Microsoftsite and when installed it on a new harddisk. I registered the program with my mailaccount at live.com for free and it still works like a charme. I like to install from zero rather then to "upgrade" from a previous version. To get a free copy, click on <download tool now> More info to make a bootable USB-drive can be found on the same page <using tool to create installation media>