When are they available- 28X2 and 40X2

chewyewwah

1) I am very interested to get hold of 28X2 and 40X2. I have heard so much about them but still waiting for them. May I know when they will sell online.

2) I think the Picaxe website need to be updated often. eg: There is little information about Picaxe 14M on the product page but it is already on sale!

3) May I suggest the 14M to have 6 inputs and 5 outputs instead of 5 inputs and 6 outputs. eg: a simple sumo robot will consist of ,
2 line sensors
2 front sensors
2 side sensors

and 4 outputs for 2 DC motors H-bridges like 754410, 6206,

1 LEDs output

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
3) The 14M can already be configured to have anywhere between 2 inputs with 9 outputs and 8 inputs with 3 outputs. Up to 5 analogue inputs are available.

This involves reconfiguring the PICAXE by manipulating internal registers although I don't recall seeing any instructions on how that is done. Also, it is more complicated than using normal PICAXE commands once the device has been reconfigured from its default mode of operation.

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
There is an appendix at the end of the manual (part 1) that explains how to reconfigure the 14M.

moxhamj

Hey, that is really nifty. The 14M now has 5 ADCs for instance - I'm still digesting this news but I'm wondering if the 14M may now be the best price/performance chip in the family?

I wonder if the manual could be edited so that on page 20 for instance there is a reference to this appendix?

Mycroft2152

Without a doubt then 14M is a pretty neat chip. Kudo's to Rev-Ed for packing all the capabilites into it.

The 14M with 9 outputs would be a great choice for a 2 digit 7 segment multilexed LED driver. With the addition on a BCD to 7 segment driver chip (CD4511 or 7447) you could drive up to 5 digits.

Endless possiblilties....

chewyewwah

14M is good! but I guess Picaxe should put in more documents and examples of it's capablities in term of I/O configurations.
eg: projects for setting many outputs
and projects for setting many inputs

Who knows, 14M may be the winning solutions over "basic stamps", the only problem with PICAXES people is they should publish more books on PICAXE applications. I have switch from BS2px th Picaxe 28X1 and I find that 28X1 is very good but lacking in application examples

Brietech

the "projects" section of the forum, and this forum itself, are becoming excellent resources for example applications.