What other IR remotes can work

erdc

I am going to be using an IR project, but would like something more stylish than the SONY TV unit that you can buy for Picaxe. Does anyone have a make and modle that would work?

I bought a Philips Universal remote, but it does not have the SIRC in its library, and I could not get it to learn the code from another SONY remote that I know works with my Picaxe.

manuka

&quot;More stylish&quot; -what are you looking for? Almost all recent SONY IRs I've played with are SIRC, so perhaps just grab another SONY offering. Also try another universal remote. Hippy's pages <A href='http://www.hippy.freeserve.co.uk/picaxeir.htm ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>cover Picaxe + IR remotes very well of course- checked these ?

jodicalhon

I have been using a universal remote to control my IR bot. $8 at the Reject Shop. Maybe not too stylish, but I am sure other, more stylish, units can be found.

whizzer

Philips usually make pretty good products, so it&#8217;s a bit of a surprise that their &#8216;universal&#8217; remote is not so universal &#8211;especially considering the previous historic relationship between Philips &amp; Sony. (Philips invented the Laser/CD concept, &amp; formed an alliance with Sony to bring the whole thing to market).

These days of course, Philips have an alliance with LG of Korea (for flat panels) while Sony has developed a similar business relationship with Samsung.

Getting back to IR, you must have been unlucky with your universal remote, as most universals usually handle the SIRC code.

PS: Have you tried varying the distance between the two remotes while trying to get your &#8216;universal&#8217; to learn? If you haven&#8217;t, try repeating &amp; verifying the learning process for just one code at varying distances &#8211;because different models can vary enormously on the optimum distance required for this process to work, and that can make the difference between learning &amp; not-learning.

Edited by - whizzer on 14/06/2006 15:52:46