What is this component?

MBrej

I found this thing in an old VHS tape player, but I have no idea what it is

Any ideas?

(i know it doesnt seem PICAXE, but if i knew what it does I may use it with a PICAXE :) )

Matt

Attachments

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Could be a delay line, could be some sort of tuned filter, could be a temperature or humidity sensor, could be the unit which lets the government know what you're watching :)

manuka

It's tempting to tease the living daylights out of you of course & say it was an anti-pirating device, VHS-Beta hack or even an a apprentice's soldering practice board. As Dippy however has un-characteristically already shown his hand as a non player this round, I'll desist.

What's the mounting material behind the wire, & what actually is the wire- tinned copper?? Nichrome? My initial guess was some sort of "warming" device, but the high R value implies it'll limit current too much for this. Which part of the VCR circuitry?

Last edited:

Mycroft2152

Could be a humidity sensor. I remember reading that some units had one as part of a speed regulator. Had to do with the tape itself changing length with humidity.

Myc

Dippy

"could be the unit which lets the government know what you're watching "

- I suspect you're right. Looking at the build quality it must be government of C... oh no, I'll stop there.

And yes, it does look like it might get warm. Something to get the damp off the heads? Did you say VCR or toaster?

I just can't wait to see what PICAXE relevance this has. I suspect approaching absolute zero.

demonicpicaxeguy

the device in question is i'm sure is a "dew sensor"

they were used to detect any moisture on the drum or tape if there was either an indicating light was lit or operation of the vcr would cease altogether

allowing a certain degree of moisture inside a vcr especially on the tape and/or drum can leade to the tape not leaving the drum and causeing a jammed tape or drum slippage

Michael 2727

I'll go with Hippy, looks like a delay line to me, I've pulled a few apart.

Dew sensors are usually a SQ / RECT, thin piece of ceramic around
0.5mm thick with a coated surface and 2 wires attached.
Under the coating is a gold track/s similar to an LDR.
They can be from 20mm SQ to 5mm SQ. Not used so much these days.

The most interesting thing about Dew sensors is the wetter they get
the editHIGHER their resistance becomes, typ 10K to 100K Ohms dry.

The Delay line is only good for aligning components of a Video
signal and nothing else unfortunately, around 60µs delay.

Last edited:

slimplynth

The end is nigh

When the time is right every TV across the land will simultaneously broadcast a mindcontrol signal:eek:. The "Toaster wires" are actually the antennae. I'm off to the shops to buy some mindcontrol sheilding, or turkey foil wrappd around my head should suffice.

"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you"

moxhamj

It is a tilt sensor. The paddles are just out of shot. Turn it on and some lights will flash and you will score 1,000,000,000 points.

Hope you have fun getting it into a picaxe project!

MBrej

thanks, er some "interesting" ideas there. Its not a heater of any sort, as the resistance between the pins (ignoring the pair with the 4K7) is too high (>2000M).

It does have a capacitance of about 0.24nF between any of the pins (ignoring again the pair with the 4K7). It does actually change if you breath on it, so possibly is a dew/moisture sensor, although why its it so big and have three pins?

Although, i do have another one similar to the photographed one, that i havnt desoldered. On the board it is marked as 'DL2,' possibly meaning 'delay', as someone suggested on the previous page? Next to it are pots which are marked 'C. phase', 'C. balance,' 'Y. balance,' which would suggest some sort of signal processing rather than climate sensing.

Anyway if it is a humidity sensor i could use it with a PICAXE :)

Matt

BeanieBots

If the the material looks like glass (actually quartz), then it's as wilf_nv said.
They're a lot smaller "these days". VERY old VCR by any chance?

MBrej

Yea, that material does seem like it could be quartz, so most likely the SAW thing. The VCR is old, it had a sticker on the back with a number to ring if you couldnt tune channel 5 when it started

Thanks people, and no thers no new PICAXE project being planned with one of these

Matt

manuka

It greatly helps to "silicon date" an appliance when after such insights. This is one of the first things I recommend when inspecting vintage gear, as much time & energy can be otherwise wasted on items that are just not worth it. Hence although you may have an "oldie but goodie",the chances are that power hungry TTL ICs were used if the gear is 1970s-80s vintage, & the associated heating may mean the device is inherently unreliable.

ICs have been in wide use for ~40 years, so even a casual look at circuitry should give a guide via IC maker date codes. This is of course traditionally in the YYWW style, so 8947 means made in the 47th week of 1989, & a current PICAXE could be ~0828. Don't get fooled with logic IC codes like 4046, 4011,7404 etc, which are NOT made in 1940 or 1974! Most usually include "family" coding anyway tp prevent this- 74HC04, 74LS00 etc. Stan