Weird AXE027 Behaviour

neiltechspec

Had something very weird happen this morning.

Been working on a Li-Ion charger with a 08M2 doing the control & monitoring (the cheap Chinese one went up in smoke - no surprise there then).
Finally completed it last night and left it charging a nearly flat 18650 cell and went to bed.
Quite a few sertxd's in the program used for development left in as they do no harm.

This morning, according to the LED's, charging had completed, switched on the PC (Windows7 Ultimate).
When boot up complete, the mouse cursor was jumping about all over the screen & clicking on icons, with lots of right clicking going on.

Oh No, I thought, PC has caught a cold (virus). Started unplugging leads & all returned to normal when AXE027 unplugged - Phew !.

It seems the regular (1second) sertxd "Trickle Charging" text & Battery Voltage readings made windows thiink the AXE027 was a mouse !!!.

I had left the programming lead connected to the 08M2 during PC bootup.

Never seen that effect before, but thought it worth noting should others see strange things happening after PC bootup.

Neil.

Goeytex

It seems the regular (1second) sertxd "Trickle Charging" text & Battery Voltage readings made windows thiink the AXE027 was a mouse !!!.
It may seem like that, but it is highly unlikely that a regular interval of sertxd is the cause of the behavior.

More likely that over time that plugging different devices into different USB ports has "confused" the Windows enumerator in regards to USB devices. Windows is not particularly good at enumerating USB devices and does strange things sometimes.

I have had both CP2102 devices and FTDI devices detected as mice, or cause behavior similar to what you described. My solution was to whack devices in the registry.

However an easier way is .... with all USB devices unplugged / disconnected .... you can open device manager, then click on "show hidden devices", and then remove all USB devices ( especially com ports) that are not actually connected to the system. When done, restart the system and then as each USB device is plugged in, Windows will re-enumerate the USB device(s) and any conflicts should be corrected.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
This is a feature of Windows where it will occasionally determine a serial connection to be a "pointing device", mouse or similar.

There may be a Windows options to disable the auto-detection of pointing devices at boot-up. There was for Windows NT but not sure what there is for other Windows versions -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/131976

neiltechspec

Hippy - Yes, it is. But now I know about it, it's not a problem & not worth pursuing.
I would have to be a bit careful disabling USB devices as both the keyb & mouse are USB.

Goeytex - I think it was that, things were happening at about 1 sec intervals.
Can't unplug all USB devices as keyb & mouse are USB.

I was just an observation that I thought was worth mentioning.

Neil.