Webmaster

boriz

Please could you extend the ‘keep logged in’ time for this forum?

A few times now, I have had to re-log in after composing my replies. It's getting frustrating!

boriz

I just looked at the picture in your sig. I think it’s a bit young to have a motorcycle accident!

BeanieBots

:(Boriz,
We understand your frustration but bumping several times in the same day is just annoying. It won't get a quicker response.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Bumping is certaining very annoying, particularly at the weekend when the technical support office is empty!

The forum does not deliberately log you out. It uses session cookies within your browser do keep you logged in and normal cookies to remember you between sessions (if you select the 'remember me' option when logging in).

Therefore the issue is with your computer - make sure your browser/security software is setup to allow these types of cookies.

See the Forum Usage FAQ - (click FAQ at top of screen above) it does explain about cookies.

Last edited:

boriz

Thanks for responding.

“The forum does not deliberately log you out.”

After I login, every ‘use’ or refresh of the forum seems to reset a timer and as long as I keep refreshing or reading new posts I can stay on all day and not need to re-login. But if I take too long composing a post, or doing some research or answering the phone, whatever, I need to login again in order to post. I have not timed it but I’d guess it’s in the region of about 10 minutes. Please check the forum settings and change this ‘keep logged in’ setting to an hour. Thank you.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I have not timed it but I’d guess it’s in the region of about 10 minutes. Please check the forum settings and change this ‘keep logged in’ setting to an hour.
The only forum setting would be expiration time for cookies, and as the cookie I'm getting hasn't required me to login since I first did that I am assuming the expiration time is set to a sensible period.

The forum doesn't log you out; the forum detects you are logged in if your cookie is present on your PC and logged out if it isn't there. The cookie will not be there once it has expired or if you delete it. If the expiration time is not set too short then something else is deleting or altering that cookie ( that is, something at your end ). That would also explain why there has not been a flood of complaints from others which I am sure would have appeared if everyone were having to log in every 10 minutes or so.

Which OS and which browser are you using ?

Most OS's have some application which allow cookie details to be viewed. It may be worthwhile downloading one of those then looking to see what cookies do exist while you are logged-in and what expiration time is set.

Dippy

I've left this in 'reply to thread' mode for 30 mins untouched to simulate the slowest typist in the world.
Still OK.
Surely, it must be a Cookie/Browser issue at your end?
There would have been a zillion complaints by now if it was the broswer.

And I believe hippy is starting to like it now :)

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
And I believe hippy is starting to like it now :)
I like what we have ( just found the 'virtual spanking' section - "Give infraction" !!! - That may only be available to Mods ), but still not liking how it's delivered visually. Full width display and I'd be very happy.

I switched to "go to New Post view" as my click-on link into the forum from my own PC's home page and that has helped a lot.

lbenson

boriz--I haven't had to sign in since when the new style started, not even when posting a message or reply. I don't recall, but I may have clicked a "remember me" checkbox somewhere. I shut down my laptop by "hibernating", not powering down, and I always have a version of IE7 open to the picaxe forum. It could not be less trouble for me.

wapo54001

I, for one, am using Firefox on Windows XP, and I have verified that I have cookies turned on for picaxeforum.co.uk, and javascript turned on as well. I cannot think of anything else I can do to make it work. I am wondering if this forum software only runs properly for Windows Explorer?

moxhamj

I, for one, am using Firefox on Windows XP, and I have verified that I have cookies turned on for picaxeforum.co.uk, and javascript turned on as well. I cannot think of anything else I can do to make it work. I am wondering if this forum software only runs properly for Windows Explorer?
I am using firefox 2.0.0.6 on XP with no problems. I took 90 minutes to compose a posting yesterday and no timeout issues either.

What are your settings in Tools/Options/ privacy and security tabs?