Water Pressure Sensor

LizzieB

I'm looking for a water pressure sensor for underwater use. Does anyone know what type of sensor is used in electronic dive computers?

Rickharris

Do you want to measure absolute pressure or just some spot level.

As an aside I would warn you against using picaxe in a safety critical situation - Underwater may just be such a situation!.

LizzieB

Strictly amusement, no safety issue involved. I actually need to measure water depth but a pressure sensor sitting on the bottom with a wire to shore appears to be the only feasible solution.

ingeer

water pressure sensor

Try Jarcar for a MPX2010DP pressure sensor (Jaycar ZD-1904) - i ahve used several on my hydroponics systems, and they are grear!

Regards,

Ingeer.

ceke

Try Jarcar for a MPX2010DP pressure sensor (Jaycar ZD-1904) - i ahve used several on my hydroponics systems, and they are grear!

Regards,

Ingeer.
Freescale.com may have free samples for these as well. I recently got 2 of the MPXM2010GS version free from them.

papaof2

The MPX2010DP pressure sensor is rated at 1.45psi max, which is a little over 3 feet.
How deep do you need to measure?

John

LizzieB

OH, I didn't realize those Moto/Freescale sensors could take water directly into the port, that solves a lot of problems, thanks!

Normally 25 feet, that's about 10 psi over ambient so yes, I would need a different part.

premelec

If you find you need some isolation of the water to the transducer and can stand some damping [e.g. you are not using the transducer as a microphone...] you can put a few inches of silicone oil in the tubing by the trnsdsucer. Another method of isolation is to use an immersed pipe which you blow air through bubbling out at the level you want to measure and measure the pressure of the _air_ pressure it takes to make bubbles... Be careful of water 'slam' if you do a direct fluid into the transducer connection as stopping flowing water can produce much higher than static pressures if turned off suddenly. Have fun...

moxhamj

Most transducers can handle water directly. Some have an internal sealed cavity which acts as the reference, and this might be calibrated at sea level or a vacuum. Some have two ports and measure the difference, so you could have the transducer under water and the reference port could be a pipe up to the air. Parts vary from $25 to $1000's. Farnell and Radio Spares have a number of sensors though you have to really search to find the reasonably priced ones. Sensortechnics http://www.sensortechnics.com/ are great with very reasonable prices but the minimum shipping is expensive. Sometimes transducers come up on ebay for good prices. Is the water fresh or salt water?

demonicpicaxeguy

if you need it for water level monitoring how about an ultrasonic distance measurement module? all you do is mount it facing down inside the tank all you need to know then is litres/cm if the tank is circular then thats easy but if it's an odd shape then ... have fun

Last edited:

Dippy

2 DPG: Lizzie said "... but a pressure sensor sitting on the bottom with a wire to shore appears to be the only feasible solution."

moxhamj

Or you could use a transducer with an absolute reading rather than a relative reading - ie one port, not two.

Dippy

dpg: whats the best way of waterproofing it? Are you talking about waterproofing a U/S device such as the SRF005? Or something special?

demonicpicaxeguy

Dippy, fisrtly you need the correct transducers for it to actaully be submerged or glued in place up against hard surfaces
eg,http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AU5550&CATID=&keywords=ultrasonic&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

isn't a bad start

as for water proofing it stuff like casting resin,polymorph,liquidnails(don't laugh), (don't try superglue some type are corrisive) is one way

i'd personally use a section of pvc pipe maybe 40mm with two endcaps, on one endcap i'd glue the transducers to the inside of the cap

on the other endcap i'd fix some kind of heavy weight that is just heavy enough to keep it sunk but also the transducer end point towards the surface

all thats needed than is the required length of cable and you're set... just make sure you sealup the two endcaps nice and tightly and where ever the cable comes out preferably near the bottom should also be nicely sealed up

Dippy

DPG: Very interesting.

So the coupling between this cheap little air-design transducer and a plastic end-cap/water will be good enough to provide sensitivity over a good distance? I take it that it won't resonate and mess up the returned signal. Has it really got enough ooomph?

Talking of the returned signal, how 'strong' is the echo from an interface compared to a solid object? And by how much will the plastic end-cap attenuate/upset the signal?

We don't know the depth range of this lake so you may need something quite powerful maybe?

I take it that unless you have a radio-bouy that you will also need a cable to the shore?

Have you tried this transducer with your electronics, you sound confident it'll work 'straight out of the box'. Have you any example electronics to drive and recieve as this is interesting?

demonicpicaxeguy

DPG: Very interesting.

So the coupling between this cheap little air-design transducer and a plastic end-cap/water will be good enough to provide sensitivity over a good distance? I take it that it won't resonate and mess up the returned signal. Has it really got enough ooomph?

Talking of the returned signal, how 'strong' is the echo from an interface compared to a solid object? And by how much will the plastic end-cap attenuate/upset the signal?

We don't know the depth range of this lake so you may need something quite powerful maybe?

I take it that unless you have a radio-bouy that you will also need a cable to the shore?

Have you tried this transducer with your electronics, you sound confident it'll work 'straight out of the box'. Have you any example electronics to drive and recieve as this is interesting?
the only place i've ever seen this particular setup was actaully used in a sydney water storage tank, it was somthing that was aparently trialled a few years ago as a means of allowing sydney water management to see and compile details of water storage levels on demand

the ultrasonic modules that sat at the bottom were linked to a 56k modem which sat in a shed long storey short like good ideas it worked, but as usaul there was a "cheaper alternative"

i certainly do imagine there would be somthing not nessarily benificial caused by the endcap, the reason i suggest the trasducers from jaycar is because it is not open at the front like the srf005, it's solid stainless steel flat surface which you could safely glue to another flat surface with that kind of setup i dare say the interference may either be non existant or not worth worrying about

as for distance, i've never done anything with ultrasonic equipment underwater, but i dare say compared with air, water is much much better when it comes to sound travelling through it you'll probably find it won't take much "oopomph" for the wave to travel up to several meters underwater,

i've got one of the transducers from jaycar, so i might try a few things out once my scope arrives

Dippy

Anyway, stick with the pressure method as I don't think dpg has finished his trans-oceanic gps controlled canoe yet :)

Peter M

LizzieB, you say a lake... how far out are you trying to measure ie shore to sensor position.?

what time period are you measuring the depth over?

if you use a cable under water for long periods it will eventually get water inside.you could use a long tube to your sensor but this is more susceptible to temperature variations (although this too would eventually drown, just a matter of blowing the water out and reconecting)

Also check this site http://www.smartec.nl/index.htm
have a look at the data sheet page under pressure sensors

Dippy

Can you clarify please Peter?

Are you suggesting having a long tube/hose into the lake and the pressure transducer on the shore?

Peter M

That would be it.. but as i say this is affected by temp due to the amount of air in the tube, but the pressure is the same at the bottom of the hose as at the top (and I guess it may have an issue with buoyancy, to much that is)

Dippy

Oh, I see, the tube is closed/sealed at the bottom-end. Totally and perfectly sealed. Fair enough.

Why would it last longer than a cable?

Peter M

No, the tube must be open at the bottom end for the water to enter thereby pressurizing the air in the tube.

It wouldnt last longer than a cable (as far as water ingress), but when its full of water who cares, empty it and go again. cable on the other hand is... well... stuffed

LizzieB

I was thinking of running the wire inside nylon tubing. That's available in various sizes here along with bulkhead fittings to ensure a waterproof entry to the sensor enclosure. I did think of just running the tube to an onshore sensor as you describe, and I didn't run the numbers but I think the temp compensation might be a challenge.

premelec

As I mentioned a long time ago you can use a bubbler type of structure then the only temperature sensitivity should be from the density of the water - the pressure transducer is on shore with the electronics - and some sort of low volume compressor to blow bubbles out under water at a very slow rate - in short you are measuring water head through pressure and that will vary with water temperature - but what accuracy are you expecting to measure the head / depth to?

boriz

Just an idea.

It seems to me that you could do this: Use a tube/pipe full of air, sealed at the TOP, open at the bottom and sufficiently weighted down. The water will try to rush into the bottom, compressing the air in the tube. An air-pressure sensor placed at the top of the tube will tell you the water pressure at the bottom of the tube. No wires or electronics are required to be submerged.

LizzieB

As I mentioned a long time ago you can use a bubbler type of structure then the only temperature sensitivity should be from the density of the water - the pressure transducer is on shore with the electronics - and some sort of low volume compressor to blow bubbles out under water at a very slow rate - in short you are measuring water head through pressure and that will vary with water temperature - but what accuracy are you expecting to measure the head / depth to?
Range approx 5 to 30 feet, accuracy isn't critical but I would hope for maybe +/- 1 or 2 feet.

If I understand this method correctly it would be something like start the pump and then keep sampling the pressure until it stops increasing, is that right?

premelec

Yes basically it will depend how often you need to take a reading... you could have the PICAXE start a compressor [low volume!] and then take readings until reading is stable +/- and accept that as a correct value. Or you could have the compressor run continuously keeping the submerged line clear of water all the time... an easy opening check valve can be used to keep water from backing up the line but it must be low pressure to open to prevent decreasing accuracy...

moxhamj

It depends how covert this needs to be - a line of bubbles might give away our secret submariner! What exactly is the application?

My dam is almost empty and I've had an idea of putting a sensor at the bottom while I can get there easily and then measure the pressure as it fills up. Thinking about how to solve this problem, I'd probably go for a sensor that reads absolute pressure so it only has one port. Making things waterproof is another problem - maybe pot the sensor connections in fibreglass resin.

inglewoodpete

premelec's idea of using a low volume air compressor is a good one.

Stagnant air trapped in a tube will gradually disolve in the water. This would result in a progressively smaller volume of air, and consequently the surface level of the water in the tube would rise, giving incorrectly lower pressure readings.

BCJKiwi

Would think the most accurate way of doing this would be to;
1. turn on the pump
2. run for say 1 minute (long enough to be sure all the water is pushed out of the tube)
2. close the pipe with a valve between the pump and the pressure sensor.
3. turn off the pump.
4. wait for pressure to stabilise (or sample pressure reading until it does).
5. record pressure reading
6. convert pressure reading to depth
7. log.

This process will eliminate the variations that would otherwise occur with the pump pushing air down the pipe and any variations in that air flow. Backpressure on the pump with it running will not be as stable as static air in the pipe compressed by the water pressure.

This scheme combines the bubbler with the static column eliminating/reducing the problem areas of both.

If there is concern about keeping the tube clear, then the pump could run all the time except when the reading is taken.

The valve could be anything simple - like a solenoid squashing the pipe, or a peristaltic pump could be used as it won't leak air when stopped. These are actually quite easy to make - a slow geared motor from almost anywhere, a disc with two to four rollers and a track with soft flexible hose - plenty of info on the web e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump.
The hardest part is getting the right tubing - needs to be flexible and survive being squashed flat - silicone rubber is a frequent choice.

Last edited:

KMoffett

I saw a commercial bubbler that had two air lines. One on the bottom and one a known distance (verticle) above it. This allowed for scaling to correct for water density. It also had a port to absolute atmosphere, and temperature sensing. Probably a bit much if not for scientific or commercial use, but I liked the two bubbler lines.

Ken