Watch Winder

pjrebordao

I know it might be a bit off-topic, but I'm building a winder for automatic (mechanical) watches powered by a stepper driven by an 08M, and I don't have any clue as to the typical rotational speed of a common watch winder.
Anyone can help ?

papaof2

Since the watch winder would be simulating the action of a human arm, probably no more than 2 motions per second - turn 90 degrees clockwise, pause 1/4 second, then 90 degrees back and pause.

Two possible problem areas:
1. Can the stepper move (and stop) the load of the watch at that speed?
2. Is the unit heavy enough to keep it from "walking" across the surface it is sitting on?

To verify my timing, make a fist and turn your hand back and forth at a comfortable speed.

John

pjrebordao

The winder will make the same motions of commercially available winders, that is slowly rotating the watch on a near vertical plane, continuously (with some rest periods in between).
It 's already working, the stepper having enough strength to rotate it confortably.

BeanieBots

Well, I've just wound one up!
Does anybody else still need to do that?

I would say about 3 to 4 full turns in about 1 second with a 2 second pause without backturning but that might just be my personal preference. (less wear on the finger).

The issue I see you having, is knowing when to stop.
I have one watch which gets progressively more stiff with each turn and hence winding slows down. The other two just get very stiff right at the end.
When to stop is done very much by feel rather than letting it get to fully wound for fear of breaking the spring/mechanism. Not a lot of crown wheel left after some 40 ish years of daily winding.

BCJKiwi

@BB'
I think this is for an Automatic watch - i.e. not winding the stem but moving the watch so the internal winder works - see post #1

@pj
The Tech's I take my watch to have a test rig which consists of a spoked wheel with around 12 arms on it - like a ferris wheel. On the end of each arm is a mount so up to 12 watches can be clamped/strapped on at the same time. This thing rotates at around 10 rpm and the arms are about 100mm long (200mm dia). It just rotates smoothly and continuosly. Each arm rotates on its own axis as the wheel rotates so the watch is moving in all 3 dimensions.

This is used to ensure the watch keeps proper time in all attitudes but would also function as a winder.

Last edited:

pjrebordao

Thanks BCJ
It's indeed for automatic watches. My winder will only have movement in one plane (vertical) as is enough for winding it properly.

Mycroft2152

This forum is amazing,you can learn something new every day. I had no idea there were automatic winders for self winding watches!

If there is a perceived need, then someone will make some money off it. I have to admit $100 is a little steep for a single watch winder. ;) Definitely a good PICAXE project.

BCJKiwi

Well I guess it isn't really a picaxe project after all in that all you need to do is move the watch to wind it. A simple small geared motor going slow enough (say < than 10 rpm) with the watch on the shaft would do the job. One motor, one switch and the appropriate voltage.

pjrebordao

I did went into overkill mode by using an 08M !
I use it to control a small stepper, and through this by having precise control over the timing, I could get away without gears.
Also by reading a 10K pot, I can control the duty cycle, thus choosing how much time I want it spinning...