VSM purchase

duke12

Hey axe holders

I have been evaluating the demo of VSM which looks very good and I now want to purchase it.
It would seem that I have to pay freight from England to Australia for the product key on top of the purchase price.

Am I reading that correct? Freight for a product key which could be sent electronically.

Maybe I don't get it.

Duke

darb1972

Hello Duke.

Yes, its a good bit of software, and no, I have never paid for "shipping" as it is (as you correctly stated) delivered electronically.

I recently renewed my licence and from (vague) memory its simply a matter of ensuring the "shipping method" box isn't ticked. Technical might be able to better advise.

duke12

Thanks darb all paid updated and fully working just ticked "local pickup" and all was well
Now to iron out some bugs

duke12

I hope I have attached the pic ok
My 28x as configured in the VSM sim is reversing the expected output out0 to 7 - using the pins =
I know the wiring is correct as I have an actual working cct of this example.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

GearIndicator.jpg

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
My 28x as configured in the VSM sim is reversing the expected output out0 to 7 - using the pins =
The rightmost bit of a variable is 'bit 0', not the leftmost. So to set 'out0' ...

Code:
;           76543210
let pins = %00000001

duke12

Thanks Hippy
LSB on right read right to left
I found it way back in the manual duhh

This cct has been proven to work on the Motorcycle Gear Position Indicatorbut has problems it the shift lever is not moved fully engages the gear but does not accurately display the correct gear if the Hall effect transistor and the magnet are not perfectly aligned.

I am going to change the project to have the chip count up and down the gearbox using the tacho pulses from the coils (Triumph Sprint GT 3 coils) and the speedo digital drive which I can pick off just above the output shaft on the bike.

Not really sure how I am going to code all of that but I have a web sourced spreadsheet that gives me all of the ranges of revs against road speeds.
SO I guess I want some select cases derived from the rev ranges for each speed reading?

At this stage I want to sim some inputs into the 28x to see if I can emulate a tacho feed and a speed reading.

Will post again if I get it or come begging for help

Like the new VSM so far. I have been comparing it to "Mutisim" which I have been using for years.
Find the coding od the Pics much easier as I have been programming in BASIC for years .

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I am going to change the project to have the chip count up and down the gearbox using the tacho pulses from the coils (Triumph Sprint GT 3 coils) and the speedo digital drive which I can pick off just above the output shaft on the bike.

Not really sure how I am going to code all of that but I have a web sourced spreadsheet that gives me all of the ranges of revs against road speeds.
SO I guess I want some select cases derived from the rev ranges for each speed reading?
Having a rev reading alone won't tell you what speed you are doing nor which gear you are in.

You could monitor changes in revs to perhaps tell when a gear change has occurred but I don't know how reliable that would be.

duke12

As I wrote
I am able to read revs and I am able to read speed
I have a chart of revs vs road speed in each gear

If I input my Bike "Triumph Sprint GT" into this spreadsheet in the link below I get a neat chart of expected readings that the Pic should process

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

What I don't get now that I have VSM how I can simulate a frequency reading (a pulse or spike?) and how to handle that in my code.

The original cct with pedal inputs

GearIndicator Pedal.jpg

The code for that

'2013 fifth version of m/c gear shift indicator
'Set Editor Program to Options Picaxe 28x
'Leverup is switch going low to high on Pin Analog 0 Pin 2 of chip
'Leverdown is switch high going low on Pin Analog 1 pin 2 of chip use striped wire
'work to do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'need to take neutral out of loop out and have it switch by Analog 3 from neutral light or neutral switch
'assign variables b1 (byte1 =8 bits) to b4
'pins = $BA 'show NEUTRAL N later when switch by neutral light later
symbol gearposn = b1:symbol geardisplay = b2
symbol leverdown = b3:symbol leverup = b4: symbol neutral = b5
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------
gearposn = 2 : gosub showgear 'start in gearposn 0 gear neutral? = $BA = N
'---------------=================00000000 MAIN 0000000==================------------------------

Start:
'debug
readadc 0,leverup
if leverup > 150 then upshift 'if low to high volts they pushed the up switch or lever
readadc 1,leverdown
if leverdown < 150 then downshift 'if high to low volts they pushed the down switch or lever
goto Start
end '----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' SUBS
'---------------=================0000000000 UP COUNTER 000000000000==================--------------
upshift:
gearposn = gearposn + 1 max 6 ' move up a gear unless at 6
'if gearposn > 6 then
' gearposn = 6
'endif
gosub showgear
wait_up_lever: 'in case they are resting on the switch or lever
readadc 0,leverup: pause 20
if leverup > 150 then wait_up_lever
goto start
'---------------=================00000000000 DOWN COUNTER 00000000000==================-------------
downshift:
gearposn = gearposn Min 2 - 1' move down a gear unless at 1
'if gearposn < 1 then
' gearposn = 1
'endif
gosub showgear
wait_down_lever: 'in case they are resting on the switch or lever'
readadc 1,leverdown: pause 20
if leverdown < 150 then wait_down_lever
goto start
'---------------=================00000000000 SHOW GEAR 00000000000==================-------------
showgear:
'___________________ display the gear selected!____________________________________________
' gearposn 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
'showgear: '0 1 2 3 4 5 6
lookup gearposn, ($BA, $82, $DC, $D6, $E2, $76, $7E), geardisplay
pins = geardisplay
return

New project using rpm / road speed -- So far

GearIndicator Rpm Klms.jpg

The code so far

Start:

main:
count 1, 1000, w1
'pulsin 1,1,w1
If w1 < 150 then gosub show
goto main
end

show:
pins = $82

'wait 5 'seconds
'debug
'w1 = 252
end
return

As you can see I am a bit stuck now!
Should I be posting this in another forum or am I in the right place?

duke12

Ok i'm on the go now using Pulsin and thats ok
Having a problem with the VSM sim and U1 a LM358, I am getting an error msg
"No power supply specfied for net 5 in Power Supply Configuration
Was working ok and showing pulses in ok but I have a Tacho filtering Cct for the coil pickup and run into this problem wiht the power supply

Code testing testing:
main:
pulsin 1,1,w1
w1 = w1 * 19
sertxd ("Tacho RPM is ",#w1,CR,LF)
pause 100

pulsin 2,1,w2
w2 = w2 * 19
sertxd ("Speedo pulses = ",#w2,CR,LF)
pause 100

goto main

Here is a pic of sim
Tacho In.jpg

Missing something simple?

Btw thanks everyone for help, I have advanced heaps with your help

Hippy I was unsure to post here or main forum as I got code info there but this seems to be a Sim issue?

Duke

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It's usually best to start a new thread in the most appropriate forum if an issue is not related to the original problem. In this case a new post in the PICAXE VSM forum would probably be best.

Not sure what the issue here is but it seems some part of the power supply for your added circuitry has not been connected. The menu option Design -> Configure Power Rails will allow you to make power rail connections if that's required.

You can post .DSN files to the forum which will allow other VSM users to examine what the problem may be and will allow potential fixes to be tried.