Voltage Controlled Stepper Motor Driver

Jaffa

Hi,

I'm new to the world of picaxe or even PIC's, but I do have a little experience in electronics, and I believe this is my next step.

What I'm wanting to make is a little complex, but even just a little help and I may be able to piece something together.

My plan is to move something with a stepper motor coupled to a threaded shaft, thus sliding something back and forth depending on a variable voltage input, or a simple calculation with two variable voltages input.

The two voltage inputs could be between 0 and 5 volts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You typically don't control a stepper motor via voltage... you use a stepper motor driver that 'steps' the motor a small amount over and over.

leftyretro

Hi,

I'm new to the world of picaxe or even PIC's, but I do have a little experience in electronics, and I believe this is my next step.

What I'm wanting to make is a little complex, but even just a little help and I may be able to piece something together.

My plan is to move something with a stepper motor coupled to a threaded shaft, thus sliding something back and forth depending on a variable voltage input, or a simple calculation with two variable voltages input.

The two voltage inputs could be between 0 and 5 volts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Well a PICAXE can work great for your application. They have analog inputs, 0-5vdc with 10 bit resolution. You can drive the stepper with digital outputs from the PICAXE, but you will have to have external driver support (chip or discrete transistors) for the stepper windings depending on it's voltage and current requirements. Most of your effort will be in the software.

Lefty