Vista Comm Port Problem

stockportdave

I have Vista (SP2) installed on a laptop. Communication with the target board stopped about 10 days ago.

The PICAXE progam Editor (in Options) shows no ports are available (all greyed out) whereas the Device Manager shows several free ports.

Somtimes after fiddling, rebooting, re-installing and pleading I do get communication (I am using 2006 drivers) and I can use the target system - (so i think the driver is ok) BUT when the computer goes to sleep, I lose the connection on restart. The error message is - port is being used by something else.

Driving me slowly, slowly, nuts.
:cool:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

If the system was working and still is at times that suggests the drivers and everything related are okay, except for restart after entering sleep mode. This looks like something to do with Windows itself, a Microsoft Update or something you've perhaps installed or changed recently; new phone, MP3 player ?

Does the issue affect other programs which use serial ports as well as the Programming Editor ?

Does the system continue to work reliably if not allowed to go into sleep mode ?

Added : Earlier, widely reported, comments about problems related to a Microsoft Update around the same time as your problems surfaced have now been retracted by the company making them following a Microsoft investigation.

Last edited:

slimplynth

Had the exact same (teeth grinding) problem on my Packard Bell Laptop. Unfortunately, a factory reset was the only fix - no problems since.

stockportdave

Thanks to both of you - yes hippy that's what I thought but cannot think of anything new added. I emailed you awhile ago but it was returned. To say thank you for all the help you have given me and my students via your website data. I love the internet to bits!
Slimplynth - (difficult for dyslexics that!). A reset Noooooooooooooooooo. Well, lets hope not!
Thanks again to both

westaust55

My findings have been that if the Programming Editor is started without the cable (specifically the AXE027 in my case) plugged into a USB port in advance, then the PE does not see the cable and will not see the cable when it is later plugged in.

If the AXE027 cable is not plugged in prior to starting the PE, the PE defaults to com1 and the correct com port is grey out.

Either restart the PE or go via the Tools / Options Serial tab to identify the correct port and see if you can re establish comms with the PICAXE board.
(Sorry but I do not have the PE on the PC I am currently at - so cannot give exact step by step directions).

Last edited: