v6 editor - thumbs up!

Pongo

Used it for real for the first time, very nice, thanks for what I'm sure was a lot of hard work to create it.

Is there an option to not re-open the last open file at start up?

Goeytex

Yes,

The "option" is to save & close any open files before exiting PE6. Then the next time it it runs, it will only open with the annoying "new document.bas" file which I then then generally closed before opening the file I really wanted.

Best I can tell there is no way to alter or turn off these "nanny features."

Last edited:

Pongo

Yes,

The "option" is to save & close any open files before exiting PE6. Then the next time it it runs, it will only open with the annoying "new document.bas" file which I then then generally closed before opening the file I really wanted.

Best I can tell there is no way to alter or turn off these "nanny features."
Well, that's unfortunate :( My regular program/text editor has config options for re-open/blank file/nothing which I would think is the normal functionality for this kind of thing.

srnet

Windows 7/32, fresh build, fully up to date.

I was wanting to use the #include feature for the HABAXE program I am working on, the symbol table is large and its a pain to keep it common across all the slots.

I was cutting and pasting stuff, and got the dreaded red cross.

So its back to PE5 for me.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Is there an option to not re-open the last open file at start up?
I believe it should be File -> Options, then select the Editor section. The option is under Use Project workspaces -> Load last Workspace on Startup.

Pongo

I believe it should be File -> Options, then select the Editor section. The option is under Use Project workspaces -> Load last Workspace on Startup.
I don't have any of those workspaces options checked.

Hemi345

Windows 7/32, fresh build, fully up to date.

I was wanting to use the #include feature for the HABAXE program I am working on, the symbol table is large and its a pain to keep it common across all the slots.

I was cutting and pasting stuff, and got the dreaded red cross.

So its back to PE5 for me.
I really like PE6, it's definitely a step up from PE5. Love the #include feature for the reason you mentioned above and also to just shorten up the main program file(s) for my readability. I'm just hoping that others have the bugs I'm up against and they'll eventually get ironed out.

- I was getting the red X every now and then when trying to work from a network drive. I moved the files to a folder synced with Microsoft's OneDrive (old Skydrive) and had some slowness as well (seemed to lockup for a second about every 5 seconds) but no red X, just kinda unusable altogether. Finally just moved them to My Documents and it seems to be pretty stable. Have noticed that even with just the files open in the editor, the editor puts a lock on them so that must be the source of contention that having them on a network drive or in a folder where something else is trying to access them causes problems.

- I have to remember to close PE6 before hibernating my laptop or it is unresponsive when I bring the laptop out of hibernation. Requires task manager to kill it (see it using >500MB memory and 50% of the CPUs and yes, the data files are local when this happens). As slow as PE6 starts up (even with the SSD), it would be better if it would resume gracefully.

- The serial terminal will occasionally flake out and not receive data. I have to close and reopen it for it to start working again. I can still program the project when this happens so it must just be something with the terminal 'module' itself.

This is on a Win7 64bit laptop with 4GB RAM.

erco

I'm just now about to try PE6. Just curious if it uninstalls or overwrites PE5 if I have any of the issues mentioned here. Can I have both PE5 and PE6 on the same machine?

inglewoodpete

I use PE6 exclusively on my two computers: W7/64 and W8/64.

PE6 still has a few bugs that don't appear to report back to headquarters but I'm sure they'll get ironed out.