V5.0 error

ZOR

Using version 5 editor.

I am trying to clear the contents of an 18M2. I tried 2 IC's, but get this message?

WARNING.jpg

Anyone throw any light on it? thanks

EDIT: Must be something I cannot see on board as just tried same with 08M2 and is okay.
Does my error message point to anything obvious?

EDIT: Just found another clue, why can I not select the programing cable?

WARNING2.jpg

Last edited:

ZOR

WARNING3.jpg

Another clue?

I tried reinstalling my programming cable. I tried different boards with 20M2's, 18M2's and get the same error messages. The only Picaxe I can clear or program are 08M2's. Now trying reinstall program editor as last resort.

EDIT:
I give up, now the program editor 5 has been removed from availability. I don't want to spend time learning 6 when 5 was perfectly adequate. Going to pack up for the day.

Last edited:

westaust55

PE V5 is currently still available from the PICAXE website here:http://www.picaxe.com/Software

Just scroll down to the start of the obsolete software section.

Which PC operating system are you using? win7, Win10, other (specify)?
What is the power source for the PICAXE chips?
Have you tried a hard reset?

Hemi345

Have you tried a hard reset?
More than likely the program running on your PICAXE is blocking the download. The serin command will block the download and require the 'hard reset' method. Disconnected power from your project but leave the programming cable connected. Click 'program' icon and when you see "Connect power now!" on the screen, power up the PICAXE project. The download should start.

ZOR

Hello westaust55. I did not see version 5 where it normally was so I downloaded version 6, it works? I had tried hard resets, different working boards, different Picaxes and only 08M2's were okay. So either my software had got corrupted or a wonderful Microsoft update had hit it or antivirus.

I am going to try and learn version 6, it looks like people have spent a lot of time on it. The only thing that I need to sort is when it opens it's not maximised and sits non central. Using Windows 7 professional.

Very relieved my Picaxe IC's are okay. Thanks again.

Thanks hemi345, no, the boards had never had serin commands loaded. I tried hard setting etc but no avail.

ZOR

Anyone know why my program editor 6 opens wrongly on screen? Windows 7 Profressional. Thanks

SCREEN.jpg

SOLVED: Right click desktop icon for application, select properties, select open program maximised, works.

Just to finish, I downloaded program editor version 5 and reinstalled. Had same problem as before so somthing on pc is stopping it working. Sticking to version 6

Last edited:

Jeremy Harris

It did exactly the same with me on Win 7, and needed to be maximised manually each time it was opened. There is almost certainly a registry tweak to change the settings to allow it to start maximised, as it's not the only bit of software that does this. I can't recall the settings, but do know that when I encountered the same issue with another bit of software some time ago, on win7, there was something in the registry that determined what size window the programme started up in.

I've not looked in detail at PE6, as I really didn't get on with it, but it may even have a setting to alter the start up size. I have encountered at least one programme in the past that had an option selectable to "start up maximised", or "remember last screen size when closing", so it might be worth looking around to see if something like that is available.

Failing that I think it might be back to a registry mod, which isn't hard to do and is described on the web, as there are other programmes supplied that do the same.

ZOR

Thanks Jeremy, I did an edit SOLVED in #6, where I found right clicking on the desktop icon and selecting properties, it was set as opening in normal window. I changed from normal window to maximised and that sorted it.
I liked version 5 but won't now work for me, something has gone on my pc stopping it. Really strange as works with 08M2 but nothing else. Seems like the initial setting of IC type is sticking as an 08M2. Problem is you never know what MS Updates, CC Cleaner, AntiVirus, Defender, Firewall keep doing things you do not want. I always shudder when seeing a dialog to remove unwanted, not used much files/programs./icons etc.

ZOR

Now version 6 not working. Cannot find hardware on port. Been all through testing cable, resetting port, all shows okay but just not working. If I change to another port and check everything again it still looks for/reports no hardware on the previous port.

westaust55

Can you still program 08M2 parts with PE6 but not 18M2/20M2 parts.

If so starts to look like a programming socket for the larger parts is problematic.

ZOR

Thanks, sorry for delay. It wont do any Picaxe now. Tried system file check (SFC/Scanow), restored pc from earlier backup, ran malware and antivirus checks, still not working. Tried program cable on my laptop, that did not work. Can the cable go faulty? No external damage to it, don't know whats inside, however all lead/port checks work.

ERROR.jpg

I downloaded the desktop widget, that says cable on Comm5 when plugged in, and not found when taken out?

Why is the obselete version 5 editor hidden when selecting buy now/software. ???
http://www.picaxestore.com/index.php/en_gb/picaxe/software.html?limit=all

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This issue is NOT a PE5 or PE6 issue. It is hardware related - e.g. power supply or damaged AXE027 cable issue. Ideally the first thing to do is try/borrow a different cable.

ZOR

Thanks. I think by the amount I have been running around doing, the common link look like cable. It's always been treated properly, no external marks. Whats inside it than get damaged? I will buy another as nobody to borrow from. Power supply has no problems.

All checks were made including voltage going high on green light, etc, and now widget recognising cable plugged in, software recognising it. Strange?

EDIT
Before I buy another cable can someone comment on why all cable/port tests pass, and what is inside the program cable to suspect this.

EDIT: Just bought another cable, hope it will solve my problems. I don't have much confidence as all built in Cable/Port checks as well as voltage measurements all give correct figures.

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
All checks were made including voltage going high on green light, etc, and now widget recognising cable plugged in, software recognising it.
Sounds like theAXE027 cable is working as it should do which suggests the issue lies with hardware other than that.

ZOR

Thanks hippy. I have tried 3 X 08M2 (Bought) boards, 2 X 18M2 (Bought) 2 X 20M2, one of which I was programming with last week. I tried 2 PC's and 1 laptop, all same results. I tried batteries, ruling out my power supply being wrong. So really points to something wrong with the cable. I will wait until new one arrives and get back.

ZOR

Works! My new cable works, so mystery why my old one failed, now binned. RevEd delivered quickly so pleased problem gone. Thanks all for help.