Using the BT_ADAPTER USB device to communicate with Picaxe 28 project board

Hi all !

I can't find anything on this subject using search - which is strange as I am sure it is (or was) very common.

Years ago I created a PICAXE-28 project to control a Pantomime CooCoo clock such that I could change the time and deploy the CooCoo as required. I used this BT_ADAPTER (HC-06) Bluetooth device then and it worked very well. But that was in Window 7 days. I think I used PuTTy as a terminal - but that doesn't work for this application in windows 10. (No connection options - device remains PAIRED but not CONNECTED)

I am having problems with windows 10 for a similar comms interface for a solar water heater project - I want occasionally to read data from the project board to see the water temp(s) and possibly to control the pump externally.

So given that things have moved on - is there a better way ? Better project board, better interface chip ?

Why can't I connect to the Bluetooth device (yesterday it was good - today after a windows update I had to reinstall the AXE-027 drivers and can't now connect to HC-06 even though it has successfully Paired.

Anyone got good experience of this - please help !!

julianE

Search for BT Terminal. It should be available in the microsoft store, I used to use it on my windows phone back in the day. I'm sure there are newer ones, google for bluetooth terminal.

Thanks JuilianE - nothing in microsoft store called BT Terminal. I did find however that if I link the ports Com 5 and Com 6 to my Bluetooth device using the Bluetooth menu - More Bluetooth Options that it now works. Pretty sure this is a Microsoft upgrade issue as it was working prior to the upgrade. All now as I can read and write from both my laptop and my Android phone. I am suing the Windows app BT Serial Terminal and that is easy to use and works well - now !!

julianE

Microsoft has gotten very aggressive with their upgrades My win10 machine is on the latest update and it's very ugly to my eyes. So far hasn't broken anything. I will be going to the registry soon to stop updates unless i ask for them, i hate all the things they do in the background.

Glad you got the bluetooth working.

papaof2

Microsoft seems to by vying with Apple for the "MTOS" award: Most Tyrannical Operating System. Way too much of Apple's "You're holding the phone wrong" to cover up a very poor design decision a few years back. No Apple phones in this house.

thunderace7

The recent Windows 10 update has removed Flash support. There was something previously (but I think that was Adobe) but there was a work-around. The W10 update prevents the work-around.
I use a parts catalogue program for my car that uses (or used to) Flash to display diagrams. It no longer does so.

papaof2

There were some security holes in previous versions of flash, but I don't use it enough to bother with keeping current on its status.