Using surplus 120-LED matrix modules

saunj

When I saw the 120-LED matrix display 18050 OP from MPJA for $1.95, I could not resist buying 5 of then, without any idea what I might do with them. This device is a contrivance just to justify the purchase.
While it is theoretically possible to drive each LED individually, it would take a ridiculously large amount of interfacing, and a picaxe would be too slow. Even making contacts with these devices is a problem, as each has 30 thin wires, not rigid pins. To stiffen them I cut a unused board made for SRAM into 10 strips and soldered them onto the wires, leaving space to make connections with thin wire-wrap wire (but soldered).
The compromise was to wire together all the 10 rows of green LEDs into left and right halves, and to make six groups of the top rows, which have red and orange LEDs. This reduced the matrix to 8 source drivers and 6 sink drivers. I used a CD4028 to decode the sink drivers, and a 74LS138 to decode the source drivers, which reduces the control requirements to six bits, plus two for the green LEDs. These 8-bits go to a connector to give flexibility in implementing a separate control board.
In the end I got tired of all this work, and after designing 3 alternative controls, I settled for a picaxe 08M and a 74HC595 to generate the 8 bits. A pot gives a manual input which can be used in many ways.
The initial program shown in this web site oscillates the green bars right and left, blinks all 600 LEDs, and then sweeps the top row to the right.
More information is in my web site:
http://www.worsleyassociates.com/Projects/600_LED_Display/index.html

westaust55

Quite impressive to be driving 600 LED's.

My attempt a while back was effectively 192 LED's (64 x RGB LEDs)
driven via two i2c IO expanders in a multiplexed arrangement with 32 driving transistors. But that did need a bigger PICAXE than an 08M.

BeckettM

Excellent project.
Once in another lifetime, I helped put together a feature wall, where the designer thought he could put different coloured florescent lights in a brick style pattern, ... then he thought it would be nice to flash them. :rolleyes:
Turned out he also only had room for 3 high, and 11 wide.

It was interesting how many different patterns I managed to get, including snake, inverse snake, same size snake, continually growing, fill pattern from top, emptying, wave from one side, inverse wave.

I wrote a program in VB to represent it on the screen, including all the steps, then had it produce the eprom data (no uP, just the eprom output into latches)

Think of the possibilities with these displays. :cool:

Mark