Using Picaxe-28X2 to get a real time clock from TC35 GSM Module

Daniel.A

I have designed this safety sensor for domestic ovens using Picaxe-14M2 and a separate SMS device using both Picaxe-14M2 and a Picaxe-28X2.

Is there a way to use the Picaxe-28X2 to get the real time clock from TC35 GSM Modem using software instead of hardware?

A general picture of both the sensor and the SMS device can be seen on the website http://magnoSenz.wix.com/ovensafetydevice

Thanks

srnet

Is there a way to use the Picaxe-28X2 to get the real time clock from TC35 GSM Modem using software instead of hardware?
What does the manual for the TC35 GSM Modem say ?

Its AT command based so perhaps one command will reveal the time ?

Daniel.A

What does the manual for the TC35 GSM Modem say ?

Its AT command based so perhaps one command will reveal the time ?
I can manually set the date and time using AT command At+CCLK="15/02/20,17:33:00"
The AT command At+CTZU=1 suppose to get the network time but it doesn't work.
I thought there could be another way of getting the time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

srnet

I can manually set the date and time using AT command At+CCLK="15/02/20,17:33:00"
The AT command At+CTZU=1 suppose to get the network time but it doesn't work.
I thought there could be another way of getting the time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Is it that the At+CTZU=1 command does not generate any response at all from the modem, or maybe that your code is missing the reply ?

Forum members may not be subject experts in a particular product (the TC35), so links to manuals and a listings of your code are normally required to enable people to assist.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Does AT+CTZU=1 return the time or just enable unsolicited time data to be received or enable other time related commands ? Also is it just time zone info or actual time ? I couldn't find an online TC35 manual to check.

I have never had a GSM phone which keeps accurate time so it may be that some networks or providers simply don't support it.

I found a TC35i command datasheet and that doesn't even list AT+CTZU so perhaps it simply isn't supported. When you say it doesn't work; what response do you get ?

Last edited:

rossko57

Presumably you can read action logs or such like from the device, as it if it were a phone. Send a text to yourself, and extract the relevant timestamp?

rjandsam

I believe it is only Network dependant and is not supported by all GSM modules, what about sending itself an Sms and using the network time stamp in the Sms to sync your own clock.

Rich

Daniel.A

I believe it is only Network dependant and is not supported by all GSM modules, what about sending itself an Sms and using the network time stamp in the Sms to sync your own clock.

Rich
That is what I am doing now. It is a bit complicated and beside I don't have enough memory on my picaxe-28x2 so I am rearranging my program with lots of subroutines to save memory. Thanks.

Daniel.A

Does AT+CTZU=1 return the time or just enable unsolicited time data to be received or enable other time related commands ? Also is it just time zone info or actual time ? I couldn't find an online TC35 manual to check.

I have never had a GSM phone which keeps accurate time so it may be that some networks or providers simply don't support it.

I found a TC35i command datasheet and that doesn't even list AT+CTZU so perhaps it simply isn't supported. When you say it doesn't work; what response do you get ?
The AT command AT+CTZU=1 returns ERROR. So I guess that command is not supported anymore like you said. Thanks for your help. I am doing it in a smart and complicated way by sending a message to itself and get the time from the message to set the time. I will do it in such a way that whenever the device is powered off and on, it would automatically message itself and set the time.

rjandsam

Are you using all 4 slots of memory in the chip? can you not put a Dallas RTC in there and only update its time once a week, using this method you could battery back up just the clock.

Rich

Daniel.A

Are you using all 4 slots of memory in the chip? can you not put a Dallas RTC in there and only update its time once a week, using this method you could battery back up just the clock.

Rich
No I am only using Slot 0. I will read more about the commands RUN SLOT and #Slot. Thanks for mentioning it.
I want to avoid adding another hardware since I want to keep my enclosure as small and compact as possible.
I can do it by software by sending sms itself and get the time from the message. I will utilize the rest of the slots. Thanks.