Using EEPROM on an RTC Board

lbenson

The DS3231 modules which I have all address the EEPROM at %10101110. So, for instance

#picaxe 08M2
hi2csetup i2cmaster,%10101110, i2cslow, i2cword
hi2cout 0, ("A","B","C","D","E","F","G","H","I","J","K","L","M","N","O")
hi2cin 0, (b0,b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7,b8,b9,b10,b11,b12,b13,b14,b15)
sertxd (b0,b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7,b8,b9,b10,b11,b12,b13,b14,b15,cr,lf)

This works in the PE6 simulator.

lbenson

Hippy--the link is to this thread, not to the one the question was moved from. When corrected, please remove this post.

[EDIT: I had posted my response to the original westaust thread. I'd remove this post now, but that would make some of the following responses ungrounded. Sorry for any confusion.]

Last edited:

westaust55

Hippy--the link is to this thread, not to the one the question was moved from. When corrected, please remove this post.
hippys links are working fine as I see it. Post 2 links to the thread title:
"Getting Started with the DS3232 RTC and a brief comparison of some other RTC chips"
where he copied the 1st post from

and at that other thread hippy left a link to this thread - indicate the post was moved to here.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The links should be correct. The forum can automatically leave a redirect ( mostly for OP's ) when a thread is moved but not for a moved post so I added those manually.

I was surprised post #3 had the same time stamp as #2 so it could be the post was being made in the old thread and the forum adjusted it to come here ? Browser caching may also confuse things at times.

Whatever happened, apologies for any confusion caused.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Does work in the simulator but not when accessing the DS3231 module
It could be that the board uses a different address; what does the product datasheet say ?

It should be possible to write a test program which writes $AA and $55 to various I2C Device Addresses, reads the results to determine which one gives the correct responses and report that.

Untested on real hardware ...

Code:
Pause 2000
SerTxd( "Starting", CR, LF )
For b0 = $A0 To $AF Step 2
  HI2cSetup I2CMASTER, b0, I2CSLOW, I2CWORD
  HI2cOut 0, ($AA)
  Pause 20
  HI2cIn 0, (b1)
  If b1 = $AA Then
    HI2cOut 0, ($55)
    Pause 20
    HI2cIn 0, (b1)
    If b1 = $55 Then
      b1 = b0 /  16 + "0" : If b1 > "9" Then : b1 = b1 + 7 : End If
      b2 = b0 // 16 + "0" : If b2 > "9" Then : b2 = b2 + 7 : End If
      SerTxd( "Found at $", b1, b2, CR, LF )
    End If
  End If
Next
SerTxd( "Done", CR, LF )

Last edited:

cachomachine

Right on hippy, the address is really $AE, the only thing missing in the other program was the pause in between the write and the read.
Big thanks to you and Ibenson for the help, i will be able to fully experiment with that nice unit.