Using C.0 (Serial out) on 08M2 as input

Rick100

I would like some feedback on this method of using C.0 (serial out) as an input . It works by connecting the DAC to the output pin, but not enabling the DAC . The pin is connected to VSOURCE+ through all the resistors in the resistor ladder by setting DACLPS = 1 and DACLEVEL to 0 . The bottom of the ladder is not connected to VSOURCE- . This is the low power setting so the ladder doesn't draw as much current . To use it as an input connect the pin to ground through a switch and 10K resistor . Use the READDAC command to determine if the switch is closed . The following test program returned readings of 250-255 with the switch open and 19-22 with it closed .
The voltage measured across the 9.8K resistor with the switch closed was .25 volts with a supply voltage of 4.3 volts . This comes out to .025 mA, so I don't think the pin is being loaded excessively . The datasheet shows 32 resistors of 5K each in the ladder . Using Ohms law, (4.3Volts - .25Volts) / .000025Amps = 162KOhms between the pin and VSOURCE+ . This is inline with the datasheet . I know this is not the intended use for the DAC, so I'd like other opinions .

Pertinent parts of PIC12lf1840 datasheet:
Section 17 for DAC
FIGURE 17-3 OUTPUT VOLTAGE CLAMPING EXAMPLES
REGISTER 17-1: DACCON0: VOLTAGE REFERENCE CONTROL REGISTER 0
Table 30-11 DAC electrical specs

I have included my test program and schematic .

DACtest.png

Code:
'test using serout pin C.0 as an input by using dac
'
'connects C.0 pin to positive rail through all dac voltage divider resistors
'bottom of voltage divider is disconnected by setting DACEN = 0 , DACLPS = 1
'picaxe commands are
' daclevel 0
' dacsetup  %01100000

'use readdac to get voltage on pin
'if switch is open reading will be near max (255)
'if switch is closed it will be near 0 (I got 20)

'refer to section 17.4 of pic12lf1840 data sheet for details

'built on AXE021 PICAXE-08 PROTO BOARD
'after programming set jumper to route C.0 to 10K resistor and switch
'jumper C.4 back to serout of programming socket for serial output 

#picaxe 08m2

setfreq m4

'prepare c.4 for serout (idle low)
low c.4
pause 1000

serout c.4,n2400_4,("Start",13,10)

daclevel 0
dacsetup %01100000	'connect pin to positive rail through all resistors in ladder

here2:
readdac b0
	serout c.4,n2400_4,(#b0,13,10)
	if bit7 = 0 then			'if less than 128 then switch must be closed 
		serout c.4,n2400_4,("closed",13,10)
	else
		serout c.4,n2400_4,("open",13,10)
	endif
	pause 500

goto here2

westaust55

An interesting discovery.
One does however wonder, when all other 08M2 pins can be inputs, just why one would need to use C.0 as an input even if considering use of the i2c or say three TOUCH inputs and need more - surely the vast majority if not all projects need at least one output (unless maybe you are using an i2c LCD display)

nick12ab

An interesting discovery.
One does however wonder, when all other 08M2 pins can be inputs, just why one would need to use C.0 as an input even if considering use of the i2c or say three TOUCH inputs and need more - surely the vast majority if not all projects need at least one output (unless maybe you are using an i2c LCD display)
What if someone wants to drop in a PICAXE into an old PIC project that uses that pin as an input without having to do lots of modification to the board?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
What if someone wants to drop in a PICAXE into an old PIC project that uses that pin as an input without having to do lots of modification to the board?
Note that this 'hack' doesn't actually make the pin an input, simply uses the pin as an output with a means to determine if it has been pulled high or low. Before the pin is configured for DAC output it will be a digital output so there will be electrical issues if used as an input.

It's a really neat trick - and well done to rick100 for figuring the mechanism out - but the practical usefulness of it may be limited.

Rick100

Note that this 'hack' doesn't actually make the pin an input, simply uses the pin as an output with a means to determine if it has been pulled high or low. Before the pin is configured for DAC output it will be a digital output so there will be electrical issues if used as an input.
I agree you can't treat the pin like an ordinary digital input . The 10K resistor should protect the output drivers through the startup stage . I was able to upload a new program even with the switch closed . You shouldn't connect the output of another chip to it though .

It's a really neat trick - and well done to rick100 for figuring the mechanism out - but the practical usefulness of it may be limited.
Thanks . I agree it has limited use, but with only 6 I/o pins, it's nice to have another option .

I was trying to find a way to put the C.0 pin in a high impedence state, for a variation of charlieplexing, when I came across this in the datasheet . I am bulding a "rotating" strobe , like a lighthouse , that ramps the brightness of 6 leds up and down . I have the circuit working by using the DAC and setting the level to half the supply voltage . I'm still experimenting and measuring voltages to see if I like that method . I also noticed you can select the FVR as the VSOURCE+ and the FVR Peripheral output can be turn off . I think I will try this also , out of curiosity .

I appreciate the feedback.:)
Rick

Last edited: